Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I have a couple of weeks off in early september and are looking for suggestions of holidays that, at least, include some cycling, mountain or touring or whatever. I am looking for people's experiences with places/companies that left an impression on you and you would recommend. We are really quite open on what/where and have been looking at everything from a tour through France's wine country, a week in Garda(italy?), to a mountain bike crossing of New Zealand's south island. We live in Calgary and enjoy the rockies pretty much every weekend but are looking for something culturally different. We've decided the ultra-decadent approach of Backroads would be a bit lost on us and price is a factor, but not the only factor for the right experience. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.

p.s. anyone had any experiences with this company?:

http://www.exodus.co.uk/index.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like your eyeing up a trip a little further afar than the U.S. However, I'd like to invite you to Idaho. Idaho has more national forest than any of the other lower 48 and none of the crowds that you find in other Rocky Mountain areas. I have extensive guiding permits in and around the Sun Valley area. The trails here are endless and sublime, as are the possibilities for putting them together. I also offer videography services, so that you can re-live your adventures and show your friends first hand the incredible riding that you did.
If you're interested, let me know how many days, what kinds of distances and climbing you're comfortable with, and what sort of accomodations (tent, yurt, B&B, lodge, etc.) you would like and I'll give you a price range.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ketchd said:
....Idaho has more national forest than any of the other lower 48 and none of the crowds that you find in other Rocky Mountain areas....
Got a good chuckle out of THAT! The few congested areas of the Rockies represent about 1/1,000,000th of the awesome terrain accessible by foot, horse and bicycle. I hear Idaho is great and all, but no need to dis my neighborhood with little fact behind the statement! Especially when I can go on a weekend ride of 30 miles, and 6K-8K feet of climbing and see exactly ZERO trail users withing 5 miles of "downtown" santa fe. Sounds like TCP is looking for a little more culture than Idaho, or most of the US for that matter, can provide that will offer excellent riding.

I'd say go for New Zealand. An outdoor mecca from the (friends' & aquaintances') reports I've gotten, and laden with some of the most friendly & well adjusted folks on the planet!

My next choice would be for the Alps.....

Keep us posted as to how things develop, and where you go!

(this has been a non-commercial message :D )

·
Registered
170 Posts
I concur with glenzx that the New Zealand option would be great from what a good friend of mine has told me who grew up there. However, glenzx, I don't even know you jack, so lighten up. I wasn't "dissing" on your "backyard".......

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the invite...

If we decide to stay closer to home, i'll have to get in touch with you and get more info. New Zealand is a long flight but sounds really good. As far as crowds go, the canadian rocky's trails can be had without seeing a soul for days, and that's an hour drive away so i guess we were more interested in a change of scenery. Europe sounds good as well, but i have a pretty low tolerance for big crowds(bankok and thailand were a great character builder for me) so that has to be considered. All suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lake Garda is in Italy

tcp said:
We are really quite open on what/where and have been looking at everything from a tour through France's wine country, a week in Garda(italy?), to a mountain bike crossing of New Zealand's south island.
I've ridden there, but am far from an expert. You can read about my trip here.

I wouldn't agree that Europe is crowded. Cities are, but you would cross about a dozen people in a typicall day out riding in the Alps.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ketchd said:
I concur with glenzx that the New Zealand option would be great from what a good friend of mine has told me who grew up there. However, glenzx, I don't even know you jack, so lighten up. I wasn't "dissing" on your "backyard".......
I was approaching the reply in a light hearted matter, no biggie, and sorry if it didn't come through as such...... Anyhow, who's Jack? :p

I was just highly amused and maybe a little bent out of shape by such an oversimplified 'off the cuff' remark as:

"...and none of the crowds that you find in other Rocky Mountain areas..."

Especially by someone not in said region, though I figured you must have spent some time in CO, NM, or WY to have witnessed the crowds....:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
glenzx said:
I was approaching the reply in a light hearted matter, no biggie, and sorry if it didn't come through as such...... Anyhow, who's Jack? :p

I was just highly amused and maybe a little bent out of shape by such an oversimplified 'off the cuff' remark as:

"...and none of the crowds that you find in other Rocky Mountain areas..."

Especially by someone not in said region, though I figured you must have spent some time in CO, NM, or WY to have witnessed the crowds....:D
No worries! You are correct, one of the areas that I was thinking of is one of the three areas that you offer. I won't specify which, for fear of reprisal from someone in that area ;) . Didn't mean to come off as a commercial either, I was just offering my services if they were interested....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.