Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a brand of parts I've been seeing on ebay called Cycle King. Anyone know if they would be good for a hefty clyde? I'm considering the hubs and the headset. I am not doing Shimano hubs ever again for off road until my hugeness is done and over with.

ebay item numbers: 380091941159 and 380092410249

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
First clue that they may not be great for a Clyde is the Alloy Freehub Body.

The fact that they are using a name like "Cycle King" which I'm sure is meant to sound somewhat like "Chris King" is kind of a dead giveaway of the hubs.

The last major clue is the seller location...Hong Kong...hmmm

For big Clydes, Chris King hubs with a stainless steel axle and drive shellt, they cost bundles but they will last. I'm sure there are many others that large Clydes will recommend as well. I've always had good luck with Shimano hubs so that is what I like to run.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
We had one of "those" customers bring in a set of those hubs and, actually, some decent hoops looking to have them laced up...bragging the "deal" he got on the interweb then (different thread I know) asking for a "deal" to get them built (fwiw, never seen him spend more than $20 on anything in the shop) and I made it $60 for the labor to lace both wheels for him ("normal" would $34/wheel); not much of a cut, I know...anyway long story short: he blew the drive mechanism within a couple hundred miles (he's average, not a clyde) and while waiting for his awesome interweb provider to cover him (they didn't) the flange broke on the front hub. Flanges never break on front hubs; well, I've only seen it twice anyway.

Once again: Don't buy them.

Brock...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
hes looking at a 200 dollar pair of hubs, and you're recommending a 600 dollar pair of hubs. hey im sure the real kings are great, but generally people looking at 200 dollar hubs arent going to triple their budget.. also you can buy damn near anything out of hong kong, it means nothing. tons of really cheap m775 brakes get shipped out of there.

theres speculation that the super light versions are american classic hubs.. which had some tolerance problems.. the newer, heavier version i havent seen a straight answer on yet, but it is different than the rebadged ac ones.. probably stronger.

id probably just get some hope hubs, since they're not that much more.. 200 bucks and the time for a wheel build is still a pretty good roll of the dice.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
hes looking at a 200 dollar pair of hubs, and you're recommending a 600 dollar pair of hubs. hey im sure the real kings are great, but generally people looking at 200 dollar hubs arent going to triple their budget..
So you missed this from my original post?

I'm sure there are many others that large Clydes will recommend as well. I've always had good luck with Shimano hubs so that is what I like to run.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
I wouldn't say they are re-badged American Classics. They look like they were trying to knock-off some of the designs of the AC, but based on my very limited experience with them I wouldn't be able to say they were actually made by AC. Factories in Asia are constantly making copies of higher end/higher dollar/better performing (not always the same thing, right?) parts and sometimes get it right, a lot of times...not so much. My guess (and that's all it is) is these are bad knock-offs of better performing hubs.

FWIW, if I were looking to get some decent hubs on the cheap I'd probably just get a LX for the front and a Hope or White Industries or something similar for the rear. You can find Hope and WI stuff for 15%-25% off retail if you look deep enough.

Brock...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.