Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a recent crash and ER visit I can't ride right now, and will be missing all MTB events this summer. Therefore, I want to focus on CX in the fall as I hope to begin riding again later next month. I have a cannondale superx, and raced cx a little bit last fall but just for fun. I only had one set of tires, and those were my gravel tires Surly Knards 41mm.

Now I want to take it more serious and wonder what tires I should get. I have a set of Vittoria Terreno Mix 38mm on the way. I want wider tires because I like them more, don't want to ride on 33mm tires and want to able to use them for gravel if needed. Gravel is the reason for why I purchased this bike.

Can I use my gravel tires on really dry days instead of file treads? I now have a set of bontrager GR1's (40mm) and still have the knards. I now have two wheelsets both with cassette and rotors so switching is easy. Should I also get a mud tire, or will the Terreno Mix be good enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
You definitely want something with more corner knobs for cx given all the turning and off camber. With your mountain bike background, that might be where you gain the most ground anyhow. A WTB Riddler could be a good fit for you. Possibly a Schwalbe G One Bite or Continental Terra Trail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If you're doing 'bigger' events, there may be rules re tire size, check with your promoters rules. I've had really good luck with Vittoria tubeless in both mtb and cx. We get a lot of mud in the fall after one or two dry events, I'm happy enough with the Vittoria Cross XL Pro (which it looks like they don't make anymore), it is fast enough in dry, with good mud performance. Will you be tubless/clinchers? I've got a Terreno Mix 33 hanging in my shop, that looks like a decent do-everything tire too, it would have to be pretty nasty to need the Wet.
One thing to remember about wide tires for cx: wide is great when it's dry, but when you are slicing a groove through soggy sod, the wider tires require more energy, they don't slice as narrow a cut; I've raced my hardtail in cx, and really notice the extra effort to get 2.2s through the mud, your 38s won't be too bad, but I think I'd rather slice sod on a 33.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The only USA event that one would be subject to tire width rules and inspections is the national championship.

It really depends where OP is at in the country. The Terreno Mix might be good enough for most wet conditions. It's gotta be a pretty crappy day before a true mud tire is needed.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
The only USA event that one would be subject to tire width rules and inspections is the national championship.
Its great that these race promoters are very inclusive but I wish they would value the tradition and be more strict with enforcing the rules. Usually there's no benefit to racing on a non-cx specific bike but when there's a steep climb or a rough DH section that definitely can favor a different style of bike. You wouldn't bring golf clubs to a baseball game. We have rules and regulations for a reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its great that these race promoters are very inclusive but I wish they would value the tradition and be more strict with enforcing the rules. Usually there's no benefit to racing on a non-cx specific bike but when there's a steep climb or a rough DH section that definitely can favor a different style of bike. You wouldn't bring golf clubs to a baseball game. We have rules and regulations for a reason.
But we don't have rules and regulations regarding tire width under USA Cycling. The tire width rules everybody (in the USA) seems to worry about so much only exist under the UCI. It's not about tradition. It's simply not a rule to be enforced. Even at a large event with UCI races (Trek CXC, Jingle Cross, etc.) it's only the UCI specific races that are run under UCI rules. USA Cycling for everything else.

For some reason, Nationals is (mostly with some exceptions) run under UCI rules.

·
Dirt Bound
266 Posts
But we don't have rules and regulations regarding tire width under USA Cycling. The tire width rules everybody (in the USA) seems to worry about so much only exist under the UCI. It's not about tradition. It's simply not a rule to be enforced. Even at a large event with UCI races (Trek CXC, Jingle Cross, etc.) it's only the UCI specific races that are run under UCI rules. USA Cycling for everything else.

For some reason, Nationals is (mostly with some exceptions) run under UCI rules.
Going off the original topic here, but... The UCI (to be referred to as Asshats) is the worldwide governing body of professional cycling. All the national federations, USAC for example, are part of the Asshats, as are promoters, clubs and the individual racers. That USAC license you have is in fact an Asshats license, but at the amateur level you are allowed to play be a slightly different set of rules than one who hold a professional/Cat1/Cat2 license. This structure is somewhat needed to create an organized path to the Olympics for athletes in different sports. This is literally the only reason that MTB and CX promoters allow USAC to continue to sanction their events.

Here in New England we have the Eastern Fat Tire Association or EFTA. EFTA sanctions probably about 50% of the MTB races here with about 40% being unsanctioned and about 10% being USAC.

It seems that more CX races go unsanctioned every year as promoters realize they can do it on their own.

Road racing and Triathlon, in my opinion, will remain under the control of USAC. Primarily I think, because if there is any money to be porked out of cycling, it's in road and triathlon.

Circling back; my understanding is that USAC can enforce the Asshats 33mm tire rule in any race they want, but the Asshats will only enforce the rule in races which require an international license, and apparently national championships, which I guess would be considered a path to the Olympics.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Race director here. Your first sentence is correct. Some of the second. We're way off topic to address each point though. The highlights are that a USA Cycling license is not a UCI license, there's plenty of reasons for USA Cycling to sanction an event (and not to), of course USA Cycling can enforce whatever rules they want....it's their event, and USA Cycling does not sanction triathlons. Triathlon (in the USA) has their own problems between USA triathlon, WTC and ITU having their own sets of rules.

*unsubscribed*

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Gonna stick with the vittoria terreno mixes once the shop gets them in. I'll probably hold off on a mud tire, and I realize now that a 33mm tire may be faster in certain conditions as JimpacNW mentioned.

Understandable how a thread about larger cx tires may turn to UCI rules discussion. However, all the races I did last year and plan on this year will allow any size tire. I'm not concerned about UCI or European tradition. Just want to be able to ride the bike as fast as possible within the rules. Also like the idea of saving money by doubling up tires for gravel and cx.

·
Dirt Bound
266 Posts
Race director here. Your first sentence is correct. Some of the second. We're way off topic to address each point though. The highlights are that a USA Cycling license is not a UCI license, there's plenty of reasons for USA Cycling to sanction an event (and not to), of course USA Cycling can enforce whatever rules they want....it's their event, and USA Cycling does not sanction triathlons. Triathlon (in the USA) has their own problems between USA triathlon, WTC and ITU having their own sets of rules.

*unsubscribed*

pgm83, don't know if you'll see this.

Gah, yeah I forgot that tri is separate from USAC. I thought that USAC had to play by the UCIs rules and be somewhat subjugated by them in order to be able to promote athletes to the worlds/Olympic stage.

I don't hide that I have no love for USAC or the UCI.

I dissagree with what you say about it being their (USACs) event. Problem is, it seems to me that they (USAC) think these are their events. I see a ton of promoters across New England doing a great job with their events and getting insurance coverage equal to that which USAC provides for less and with generally fewer timing issues. The only benefit that USAC can provide (and I think they do a lousy job at best) is WADA-banned substance testing.

I apologize if I spread any miss-information, and thanks for calling it out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I ran Schwalbe g-one all around 38c (465g) in a few races but found them to be too chunky and prefer the x-one all around in 35c (426g). Not much weight difference between the two but x-ones feel faster and I find do better in mud/cornering.

I looked at some power data and the 38c tires were 2 min slower on a 20 min gravel/dirt climb than the 35c with higher power on 38c ride, same PSI. Not sure how that translates to CX with not much climbing and running lower pressure with a higher volume tire could be faster on a rough course

Many of these tires are not available in the US for some reason aside from size 33c (x-one). And the g-one all around is not available in the US, only the g-one speed. But looking at UK/German sellers there are more sizes/models. Also the Continental terra speeds only europe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.