Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to build a wheelset with Stans flows on Hope pro 2s. I chose stans flows because they are indestructible (so i have heard) and accept wide tires at low pressures well.

So my dilemma is this: My pro wheel builder partially talked me into CX rays. They are a cool spoke and would shave 100grams off an already burly wheelset. He says they are really strong too.

So my here are my questions for the gurus. -
1. Would cx rays build a good wheel with flows? I have heard that CX rays are a high tension spoke and Flows are a low tension rim. Any problems here?

2. Are they gonna break on me? I dont wanna deal with broken sh**. I am 170-175 during riding season and really smooth over obstacles.

If they arnt gonna build a good wheel or if they are gonna brake ill just save my money and use a heavier spoke.

Thanks for all your imput.
Sheepo

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Sheepo5669 said:
I have decided to build a wheelset with Stans flows on Hope pro 2s. I chose stans flows because they are indestructible (so i have heard) and accept wide tires at low pressures well.

So my dilemma is this: My pro wheel builder partially talked me into CX rays. They are a cool spoke and would shave 100grams off an already burly wheelset. He says they are really strong too.

So my here are my questions for the gurus. -
1. Would cx rays build a good wheel with flows? I have heard that CX rays are a high tension spoke and Flows are a low tension rim. Any problems here?

2. Are they gonna break on me? I dont wanna deal with broken sh**. I am 170-175 during riding season and really smooth over obstacles.

If they arnt gonna build a good wheel or if they are gonna brake ill just save my money and use a heavier spoke.

Thanks for all your imput.
Sheepo
For XC riding you'll be okay. anything else I'd opt for a DT Competition or a Sapim Race. You are exactly right regarding CX Rays, for them to work properly they need high tension but even then you can't get past the physics of steel, the cross sectioninal area is always going to be the limiting factor on strength and wheel stiffness.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For XC riding you'll be okay. anything else I'd opt for a DT Competition or a Sapim Race. You are exactly right regarding CX Rays, for them to work properly they need high tension but even then you can't get past the physics of steel, the cross sectioninal area is always going to be the limiting factor on strength and wheel stiffness.
Sweet man. Thanks for the quick reply.
Yeah it's only rigid xc on 2.4s.

I just dont wanna pay 150$ more on spokes to have em break on me. If that was the case I would just ride comps.

Any other opinions on cx rays?

Thanks,
Sheepo

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
There is nothing about a CX Ray that makes it incompatible with any rim.
They actually work better at lower tension than thicker spokes due to their high elasticity (small cross section).
I know that Sapim recommends very high tension for CX Rays (tension so high it would eliminate Stan's, DT Swiss, and Mavic rims, at a minimum, from being used with them), and I don't know what they use as a basis for that, but it is not founded in good engineering or materials science. Plenty of wheelbuilders and wheelbuilding companies use CX Rays at tension much lower than Sapim's recommendation without issue.
Incidentally, the "extra strength" in CX Rays is a bit of a myth. The second forging that makes them bladed (they start out as Lasers) adds some yield strength to the top end (with the trade-off of making them more brittle), but the normal tension range doesn't get close to the yield strength, so it's not a material benefit.
You will have no problems with them.
However, the only advantages of CX Rays over their round and much cheaper cousins (Lasers and DT Revolutions) are the bladed look and the fact that the bladed shape makes them easier to hold during building.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Listen to 'feather in this thread as he's a real live engineer. Rays are great spokes but they don't have any magical properties. I have 'em in a couple of sets of MTB wheels and a few sets of road wheels and they have been perfect for 10+ years.

Your builder's comment of "they are really strong too" made me chuckle as he's using that just as a motivational tool. He's not even qualifying it by stating that they're stronger than anything else. It's immaterial whether that's a fact or not as all spokes are strong enough for our purposes and his comment could (should?) be used for all of them.

Yes they're great spokes. If 'feather said what he was really thinking, he'd say that they're no better than his favorite spoke - the DT Revolution; just more expensive. But he'd miss one fact - chicks really dig 'em. And that ya can't put a price on.

Edit - post meant for OP.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/QUOTE]Yes they're great spokes. If 'feather said what he was really thinking, he'd say that they're no better than his favorite spoke - the DT Revolution; just more expensive. But he'd miss one fact - chicks really dig 'em. And that ya can't put a price on.[/QUOTE]

I think he talked me out of revolutions because they are super hard to build with haha. That's the motivation for promoting the bladed cx rays.

With that said, I think he could build a better wheel with rays because they arnt such a pain in the arse.

But is it worth 130$+ for cx rays over revolutions?
I don't know. I know this is going to be a decision that only I can make but any other input would be much appreciated.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
This may not apply, but I had some bladed spoke wheels (Mavic Crossrides) and got a surprise when I caught a little air off a trail undulation at speed, a brisk gust of wind hit me from the side, and those bladed spokes caught that wind. It twisted me all up, I was able to salvage the landing, but at the expense of bending the rear wheel. Very surprising and scary. I almost ate it.

I have never felt that before or after having bladed spokes. It definately swiped the bottom of the bike while I was in mid air.

P

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Sheepo5669 said:
The sad part is I don't know if your joking. Haha
Not joking. Didn't think it would be an issue till it happened. The Mavic bladed spokes have a larger cross section, than the CX rays, I believe.

Regardless, I've spent plenty of time in the air, and that experience was unique. If that info applies, great, if not ignore.

P

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not joking. Didn't think it would be an issue till it happened. The Mavic bladed spokes have a larger cross section, than the CX rays, I believe.

Regardless, I've spent plenty of time in the air, and that experience was unique. If that info applies, great, if not ignore.
Ha thats funny. Dude, i know you love mountain biking, but you gotta quit riding in F5 tornadoes.

Just my $0.02

Sheepo

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the bladed spokes on my road bike definitely catch the wind.
Wow i wouldnt have imagined it. Im not gonna worry too much about the cx rays though. they are only semi bladed and its for an off road application.

I just sold my motorcycle a couple hours ago so its time to get serious about building my jabberwocky. :)

Sheepo

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
Sheepo5669 said:
Wow i wouldnt have imagined it. Im not gonna worry too much about the cx rays though. they are only semi bladed and its for an off road application.
definitely. for the same reason off-road applications kinda kill the aerodynamic advantage of bladed spokes (for forward motion).
Sheepo5669 said:
I just sold my motorcycle a couple hours ago so its time to get serious about building my jabberwocky. :)

Sheepo
sweet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.