Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a CX-Ray build on a new set of wheels. I normally use a Wheelsmith spoke tensionmeter. Should I be measuring the tension against the thin edge or wide bladed surface of the spokes? I seem to be getting a much higher reading on the thin edge, and it feels like a reasonable amount of tension so I'm guessing this might be the method. Also, if anyone is familiar with the chart Wheelsmith provides to match up the tool reading against different spoke gauges and types, can you suggest which column might be suitable as an equivalent for the CX-Ray? Thanks!

P.S. I also check tension by feel and "pluck" tone, but like to see these verified by the tensionmeter reading just to give me that warm and fuzzy inside. ;)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Circlip said:
I'm doing a CX-Ray build on a new set of wheels. I normally use a Wheelsmith spoke tensionmeter. Should I be measuring the tension against the thin edge or wide bladed surface of the spokes? I seem to be getting a much higher reading on the thin edge, and it feels like a reasonable amount of tension so I'm guessing this might be the method. Also, if anyone is familiar with the chart Wheelsmith provides to match up the tool reading against different spoke gauges and types, can you suggest which column might be suitable as an equivalent for the CX-Ray? Thanks!

P.S. I also check tension by feel and "pluck" tone, but like to see these verified by the tensionmeter reading just to give me that warm and fuzzy inside. ;)
When measuring tension of bladed spokes...measure against the wide part of the blade. I know this is true for the Park tensiometer.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
When measuring tension of bladed spokes...measure against the wide part of the blade. I know this is true for the Park tensiometer.
You are correct, sir.
And Park has the CX-Ray on their tension chart.

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problems, problems, problems

Thanks for the info guys - makes sense. I actually combed through the tool docs and found that it did also advise to measure against the flat portion.

Now here's my dilemna ; I can't quite understand what's going on since the tension seems to be getting VERY firm by feel, plucks to a very high note, and yet my tensionmeter reading off the wide/flat parts is still barely registerering a blip. I've applied the tool back to several other wheelsets just to make sure it's still calibrated properly and everything looks fine.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Circlip said:
Thanks for the info guys - makes sense. I actually combed through the tool docs and found that it did also advise to measure against the flat portion.
Now here's my dilemna ; I can't quite understand what's going on since the tension seems to be getting VERY firm by feel, plucks to a very high note, and yet my tensionmeter reading off the wide/flat parts is still barely registerering a blip. I've applied the tool back to several other wheelsets just to make sure it's still calibrated properly and everything looks fine.
Hi Matt. Yep you just e-mailed me on this and you're quite aware I'm gonna tell you to throw that tension thingy into Burrard Inlet. :D

Akshully I *did* try a local dude's tensiometer (a WS) for my latest wheels (CX-Ray) for the experience. I eee'd Park's Calvin to see what readings they used for CX-Ray as there was nothing on their site and certainly no mention on the chart that came with the ancient WS tool I was using. He said to use one of the other bladed spokes I think as they didn't have CX-Ray on their page at that time. I know I couldn't use Park's readings but I could get a relativity to other spokes on their chart.

I too found a very low tensiometer readout when I was at the "ohhh $hit" stage of tensioning my X-Rays. I quit before I reached any kind of meaningful readout knowing that I'd gotten my tensions up to what I usually gauge (by feel) is right. The wheels have been ridden many times this year and are still in one piece so I guess they're ok.

My last rims (Bonty Mustang) with CX-Rays eventually developed many cracks at the spoke holes so I must have been using lots of tension in the past. Most of the holes were cracked last fall when I took the wheels apart.

So yes I can see where you might want to run a little less tension on those feathery Stan's rims.

Funny, your e-mail caught me when I just came upstairs from building my new (used parts really) TRACK bike wheels. Yayyy!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Circlip said:

To give you a comparison the Park TM chart shows 100 Kgf for the CX-Ray (2.1 x 1 mm) at "13".
For steel round spokes 100 Kgf is:
2.0 mm - 23-24
1.8 mm - 21
1.7 mm - 20
1.5 mm - 17-18

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.