Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to build up a new set of Edge Composite AM rims for my Jones. Trying to decide between the aforementioned spokes. There is a fairly meaningful difference in price, but if there is a marked difference in the stiffness of the wheels, then ... I would greatly appreciate any opinions.

·
Administrator
10,533 Posts
all I can attest to is the cx-ray are seriously stong spokes. Expensive but so strong. My wife, not a easy rider, has beat a set for the last 6 odd years on a lightweight set of american classics. I, for the first time in as long as I can remember, check their tension the other day and they were still fantastic. I should note that she also bought them used.

Also the rim is beat to hell, dents all over the place but the run out is minimal as well. They seemingly are worth the dollars especially if your rims last, which I would wager the Edge ones would. Besides with that much money in rims why skimp on the spokes?

·
This place needs an enema
15,604 Posts
MTBDad said:
About to build up a new set of Edge Composite AM rims for my Jones. Trying to decide between the aforementioned spokes. There is a fairly meaningful difference in price, but if there is a marked difference in the stiffness of the wheels, then ... I would greatly appreciate any opinions.
The rims are stiff enough that spoke choice doesn't seem to matter. Any of the above will work, and you aren't likely to feel a difference from one spoke to the next because the stiffness of the carbon hoop trumps it.

Thus, if it were my choice, I'd go with whatever's cheapest or easiest to source.

But wait--SuperComps use 1.8 nips, and the Pillar nips that come with the Edge rims are 2.0's. Thus, I'd use Rev's as they're about the same cost and will work with the supplied nips.

MC

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've used CX-Rays on all my wheels for the past 6 years, and they're great...0ne broken spoke at the bend during that time, in well over 30 wheels.

I've also built a couple of sets of Edge AM wheels for my Jones, Edge (Enve) sent CX-rays with the build kit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Have them all too

I respect mike c's opinion but I wouldn't use rev's. I would go with X-rays cheaper than aeros and can't use supers. Plus there must be some reason edge built all of there's with aeros and X-rays

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
mikesee said:
The rims are stiff enough that spoke choice doesn't seem to matter. Any of the above will work, and you aren't likely to feel a difference from one spoke to the next because the stiffness of the carbon hoop trumps it.

Thus, if it were my choice, I'd go with whatever's cheapest or easiest to source.

But wait--SuperComps use 1.8 nips, and the Pillar nips that come with the Edge rims are 2.0's. Thus, I'd use Rev's as they're about the same cost and will work with the supplied nips.

MC
Yup your not going to use super comps on an Enve wheel. I think Pillar does make those nipples in a 15 gauge but good luck finding them.

Mike, I've ridden the enve 29'er hoops with CX-rays and Race spokes back to back on the same bike and there is an appreciable difference, under my 200#. Like you said though the rims make this a pretty small difference, one most people won't notice. Regardless of spoke choice those rims will produce the stiffest wheels you've ever ridden.

I would stay away from Reov's for those rims. I've built a couple of there rims with Revolutions and all they want to do is stretch. To add to the problem the extra drag of the internal nipple makes windup pretty challenging to deal with as well. The guys at Enve tried using Revo's for a while but stopped because it wasn't worth the trouble to build them.

Go with a 14/15 or a CX-Ray and call it a day. It's strongly suggested that the rims only be laced 2X FYI.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Four wheels with Aerolites and one with Supercomps, for the price the Supercomp is hard to beat, but the Aerolites look soooooooo cool.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
MTBDad said:
I built some Edge Composites XC rims last year, and there is a reason to go with bladed spokes on these wheels; spoke twist.

The Edge rims are designed to hold a much higher spoke tension than aluminum rims. With the correct bladed spoke holder tool, and a tensiometer, and the right Pillar spoke nipple tool you can achieve very high (correct) spoke tension without getting any spoke twist. It's pretty much impossible with a round spoke. After a certain tension round spokes will twist, even if you use lubrication and do the 1/2 turn tighten, 1/4 turn loosen method.

I built mine with 32 DT Aerolites, 2X front and rear. Very happy with them. (Except the tubeless setup part.) If you search, you can find me writing a little about them, specifically the spoke issue.

Morgan

·
Registered
917 Posts
morganfletcher said:
I built some Edge Composites XC rims last year, and there is a reason to go with bladed spokes on these wheels; spoke twist.
Weird...I just got back from a ride and was going to add this to my original post but you beat me to it.

I use a two 2" pieces of PVC Sched 40, one 1.25" and the other 1", glue the 1" inside the 1.25", cut a lengthwise slot thru the 1.25" piece slightly into the 1" piece with a hacksaw, and it grips the spoke great to prevent windup as the tension ramps up. Or you could just buy a Sapim tool, but they're ~$20.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
2xPneu said:
Weird...I just got back from a ride and was going to add this to my original post but you beat me to it.
:)

I use a two 2" pieces of PVC Sched 40, one 1.25" and the other 1", glue the 1" inside the 1.25", cut a lengthwise slot thru the 1.25" piece slightly into the 1" piece with a hacksaw, and it grips the spoke great to prevent windup as the tension ramps up. Or you could just buy a Sapim tool, but they're ~$20.
That's pretty trick.

I used the DT-Swiss bladed spoke holder with the Aerolites. It worked well. The trick is to slide over the blade, then down towards the rim as far as possible.

Park just came out with a new bladed spoke holder tool that is plastic, and fits various bladed spokes. I got it but I haven't used it yet.

I am a tool junkie.

Morgan

·
change is good
3,121 Posts
I'm not a wheel expert, but I've been beating my Edge AM wheelsets for close to three years with one broken Aerolite spoke and I'm a clyde.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,310 Posts
mikesee said:

MC
X2 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
mikesee said:

MC
MC, You're obviously the expert here so as usual, I respect and value your opinion.

Personally, I would go with whichever spoke would produce the best balance between light weight and strength. If that's the revo, great. If that's the CX-Rays, also great. If they're functionally the same, then by all means, save the cash. however, if the CX-Ray is even a little bit better, I have to think that those are the ones to use. When spending $1600+ on a set of rims, saving a couple bucks per spoke doesn't seem to make much sense.

·
Registered
753 Posts
BShow said:
When spending $1600+ on a set of rims, saving a couple bucks per spoke doesn't seem to make much sense.
I totally agree, I have a few wheels that I just hate the fact I went cheap on one part.

Do it right, do it once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts