Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm 5'9" and i weigh 152 pounds. i'm looking to get rid of what excess fat i've been hauling around. i'm looking for training/diet tips that would help me lose a good amount of useless weight in healthy way. I already ride 10 - 20 miles at least 3 or 4 times a week, but i'm looking to increase the seriousness of my training.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm about 150lbs too but only 5'6". My body fat hovers around 14%, although I just started riding a few months ago. My goal is around 10 or 11% by the end of the year and then maybe lower after that. How much weight do you want to loose? Make sure your goals are realistic. Loosing 2 or 3 pounds per week is about as much as you want to do while being healthy.

Here are some weight loss tips:
Dont skip on breakfast. This prevents you from craving high calorie foods later and helps keep up your metabolism. Also spread out what you eat throughout the day, eat more meals but keep the portions smaller also. Use common sense with what you eat. Choose wheat over white bread, whole grains, eat enough fruits and veggies, cut down on the saturated fat, drink plenty of water, etc. Multi Vitamin couldn't hurt either.

Good quote from a book I have is "Any self-improvement resolution, no matter how well-crafted, is doomed to failure if you become a slave to it." "... A healthful diet in an active liftestyle such as cycling has room for an occasional rich piece of chocolate cake. Look at it as a reward, not a failure."

Training tips
Get a heart rate monitor and use it during your training. There's plenty of resources on the internet and this site that will help you on how to use it. Nibble on energy bars or drink an energy drink on rides longer then about 2 hours. Do something else (run, basketball, etc) on days when you can't ride. Do some resistance training. Keep a log of your work outs and sports. And last but not least . . . learn to love hills. Hills may be harder, but they're the fastest way to build up your fitness while riding.

Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i'm 6'0" and i weigh 156lbs

is it "good"? I am almost 25 years old and i go usually biking on weekends (i don;t have enough time because of university) but now i try to go also every evening (or afternoon). What weight should i have (how much should i loose - and keep it there)?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
stavpal said:
is it "good"? I am almost 25 years old and i go usually biking on weekends (i don;t have enough time because of university) but now i try to go also every evening (or afternoon). What weight should i have (how much should i loose - and keep it there)?
Don't worry too much about your weight. Instead, focus on your performance and on eating well (95% of the time, every once in awhile you have to reward yourself in order to make eating well not seem like a prison). Do you know what your body fat % is? I don't care nearly as much about weight as I do about fat %.

I have access to a lot of online sports medicine journals and such through my school's library. PM me if you want some articles on the subject. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
ok, really i should lose 3-4lbs - because i was that thinner few years ago. Then i was in "better shape" (better performance), but i should just try to go out regularly (not only weekends). How can i know my % fat?
p.s.: i eat well (not too much), and i am not "in a diet", just the only way is to increase training

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i'm much more interested in my % body fat than sheer weight (i think my current weight is pretty healthy and my resting heart rate is 54 bpm so i'm ok in the general health deparment), but where can i find that kind of thing out? i really don't want to buy an expensive scale that sends electricity through my body, but i'd be willing to use a borrowed one i guess.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
http://www.tanita.com/BodyFatDUO.shtml#
I have the 2202. Got it for about 50 bucks at the local sav-on. It does send a small electronic signal through me, but it's not noticable at all. My mom, dad, and sister have all used it and they didnt know about the electronic signal till I told them. Might be able to get one on ebay for less too . . .

I think there's a way to use calipers and figure out your body fat that way but that's harder, takes longer, and has more room for user error.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think there's a way to use calipers and figure out your body fat that way but that's harder, takes longer, and has more room for user error.[/QUOTE]

Just a note. I've weight trained for years, and been around a few who were very serious about bodybuilding. Everyone I've talked to who knew more than me told me the Tanita style bodyfat scales are not very accurate, or even consistent. Easily affected by water, etc. The calipers you mention are the most practical way for most people to find out their bodyfat, if used by an experienced person. The most accurate way a water displacement test, but that requires far more than a small pair of calipers.
Fezzy

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tanita sucks

Fezzy said:
I think there's a way to use calipers and figure out your body fat that way but that's harder, takes longer, and has more room for user error.
Just a note. I've weight trained for years, and been around a few who were very serious about bodybuilding. Everyone I've talked to who knew more than me told me the Tanita style bodyfat scales are not very accurate, or even consistent. Easily affected by water, etc. The calipers you mention are the most practical way for most people to find out their bodyfat, if used by an experienced person. The most accurate way a water displacement test, but that requires far more than a small pair of calipers.
Fezzy[/QUOTE]

I've dropped 20lbs since having the scale and my bf% has gone up! My buddy who hovers around 9% for most of his adult life jumped on it and it said he was 14%, then another buddy who hopped on and is carrying a bit more fat got a reading of 9%. I've actually gone to bed and woken up 3-4% less bf. Use calipers-I think they are much more acurate-but find someone who knows how to use them!

PattD

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have the same experiance with a scale I bought at a wholesale club for 30 bucks. It varys quite a bit. It's really not info I'm too obsessed with. However I am really curious to see what my actual body fat percentage is. Over the winter I was lifting weights. I'm about 5'10 1/2". At the time I weighed around 175 at 22% body fat according to the scale. I think I remember being down to about 165 in March at like 15% fat or something. I don't really remember what the numbers were, but around this time I noticed that my weight was going down at a slower rate than my body fat. I was gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Now I'm down to about 153 and 10% fat. The point is that wieght alone isn't everything. It's what kind of weight you want to lose, fat not muscle. Look at what happened to Jan Ulrich in the TDF, they said he might have lost too much weight too fast and it really hurt his performance. Don't forget to keep in mind that your body fat measuring devise should be accurate.
Back to the thread topic, I lost wieght by biking and running and lifting wieghts over the winter. Your diet is just as important as anything. I'm really lucky because I'm a Chef, I live in a kitchen. Tonight I had some sesame crusted tuna (rare of course) with vegetable spring rolls, baby bok choy, and sweet chili-hoisin glaze. It would usually cost $25, so I don't eat things like that often, we get super high quality tuna and the stuff costs a fortune. Anyway, when we butcher fish we always have small peices left over that we use for amuses, make a mousse out of them, in the case of tuna we make tuna tartar or I eat them. I try to stay away from red meat, unless it's lean which is really expensive (12oz. filet mignon-wholesale cost $13, retail $34) and off limits. A nice peice of pan seared cod with some rice and maybe some spinach and a meat based demi. The demi is a veal stock reduction infused with various aromatics if you don't know. It's very rich and is almost pure protien, very little if any fat. Salads are my favorite thing for lunch, some chicken, fresh mozz, calamata olives, polenta crutons, spring greens, some heavier greens like chicory, frissee, grape tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrettte. I'm kinda babbling but you get the idea. Healthy food does not have to be boring at all. It helps to have a dozen years cooking, a culinary degree from the best school in the country, but it's really not that hard to throw this stuff together. You just need to take your time experiment and have fun.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My scale has been fairly consistent, only varying about .5 or sometimes 1% during a day. When I first got it, my readings were always within .5 of 15% and now they're always within .5 of 14. Like I said, my goal by the end of the year is something around 10%.

The water displacement test is the hydrostatic body fat test in which they dunk you in a tank of water and then you blow out all the air from your lungs, and then blow some more air out. From this they measure the displacement of the water and figure out your body fat.

I can't say if the tanita I have is 100% accurate since I've never had a hydrostatic test to compare the two readings, however it works for what I use it for . . . tracking my progress by giving me quick and easy readings.

Whichever method you decide to use, stick to it and keep a lot to track your progress :)
Good luck!

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
BF calipers are much more accurate than those scales.

To just cut weight is easy, anyone that competes in a weight class based sport knows this. Don't drink much water, cut down on food and run with a plastic/rubber suit. Take a **** before weigh in. ;)

I suspect you want to cut BF as everyone has mentioned. The trick here is eat 6+ smaller meals a day. Complex carbs (100% whole wheat toast, oatmeal, etc...) for breakfast to replentish muscle energy stores. Post workout you immediately need protein and enough carbs to spike insulin. A protein shake is a good idea as it is easier than eating after a tough workout and digests more quickly. The rest of the day try to keep carbs low as excess over what you need for recovery can be converted to bodyfat. This means that most of your meals after post workout are going to be lean meat and veggies. And thats it!

I totally agree with not becoming a slave to your diet. An occasional treat is just fine, but keep it occasional!

As for workouts, I would suggest that if you're already biking you need some weight training. Don't get sucked into a lot of complex workouts. You need abbreviated training with big compound lifts. Your workout could (and probably should be) as simple as squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bench press and pullups. 3 times a week.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
All good points - the impedance based bodyfat measuring can be very variable depending on how hydrated you are. Measuring yourself first thing in the morning after you take a leak is probably your best bet and will give the most consistent results. I can get a 10% variation depending on how much water I've had.

The way to burn fat on a bike, and I realize this is counterintuitive, is to ride SLOWLY for a long time. When you ride fast, like hill climbs, sprints, etc, your body relies almost entirely on stored muscle glycogen. You're not burning fat. When you ride slow your body has the time to metabolize fat for energy. Riding slow meaning you can carry on a conversation or sing while riding. (Singing requires more careful diaphragm control and you can't do it if you're riding too hard.). If you're breathing heavy, that's too hard.

Big Slacker must have been a wrestler. Dehydrating yourself before weigh-in works but it's not a very bright idea for cycling. Your performance suffers greatly when dehydrated. A few percent drop in water will cause huge drops in performance.

Ride slow. I know it's hard. I have a terrible time trying to ride at a slower pace. Every time I go ride, with friends or without, I tend to hammer, and while it helps build aerobic fitness, or anaerobic fitness, it's not burning fat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
when you mean slowly

you mean low cadence? Or just "relaxed"? Because sometimes low cadence is really really hard.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
What I really mean is low effort. Doesn't matter how fast you're going or how fast you're pedaling, your perceived exertion or heart rate should be your guide. Since I indicated in the post that you shouldn't be winded, then a really hard low cadence is not what I meant, right? Try for 60-70% of your max heart rate, 65% is my usual target, which for me is around 124bpm. Ride for over an hour, ideally between 2 and 3 hours like this, and you'll burn a lot of fat. It's hard to do offroad because singletrack usually requires some serious effort in parts, so I do a lot of riding on the road or on rails to trails type stuff. At 6' and 156lbs you're already close to an ideal weight for racing, but every pound of fat you can strip off your body makes you faster in the climbs. Don't strive for obscenely low amounts of bodyfat however. Some of that is used inside to cushion your internal organs and since mountainbiking is an inherently bumpy sport, you need some of that. I think 4% is the minimum for men, and 12% for women, according to what I've read.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
"Big Slacker must have been a wrestler. Dehydrating yourself before weigh-in works but it's not a very bright idea for cycling. Your performance suffers greatly when dehydrated. A few percent drop in water will cause huge drops in performance."

;) and later submission wrestling/NHB.

I was not suggesting at all that he should use that technique for cycling. Just illustrating how pointless it is to judge fitness by weight instead of more useful indicators like bodyfat, aerobic and anerobic capacity, strength and others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts