Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm 5'9" and i weigh 152 pounds. i'm looking to get rid of what excess fat i've been hauling around. i'm looking for training/diet tips that would help me lose a good amount of useless weight in healthy way. I already ride 10 - 20 miles at least 3 or 4 times a week, but i'm looking to increase the seriousness of my training.

·
Registered
234 Posts
one way would be to integrate some weight training into your workouts. muscle weighs more than fat but it is not wasted weight. the added mass helps you out rather than just weighing you down. added muscle also helps to burn more fat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Long rides will help you lose weight very effectively, if your body is not yet adapted to them. In a way you're lucky that you haven't been doing high mileage for the last few years (I assume from your description) but still can't lose the weight. You're body eventually adapts to long rides, your endurance increases, and your ability to use less calories increases. :( But that usually takes a few years.

I would recommend adding one or two, three to four hour rides to your weekly schedule. If you don't have that much time all at once splitting a ride during the day is almost as effective. An easy way to get the miles in, is ride to your favorite trail if it is within a reasonable distance. It worked really well for me about three years ago. And here's a tip, when you're out there in the third hour, sore and suffering, think about the racers who participate in the Tour de France.

·
Registered
162 Posts
jonwebah said:
i'm 5'9" and i weigh 152 pounds. i'm looking to get rid of what excess fat i've been hauling around. i'm looking for training/diet tips that would help me lose a good amount of useless weight in healthy way. I already ride 10 - 20 miles at least 3 or 4 times a week, but i'm looking to increase the seriousness of my training.
Changing your diet will help a great deal. Cut out wheat, sugar and dairy (cow's milk, cow's cheese, cow's yogurt) and you should notice a big difference. Also eating a lot of leafey greens will trim you down. You will feel better too!

If you want to have dairy (once in a while), use goat products. Many different varieties of goat cheeses are now becoming avaliable. For wheat replacements, such as breads and pastas, use brown rice, spelt or kamut.

Look at the ingredients of anything you buy and if it has sugar (sucrose, dextrose, fructose, etc...) in it, don't buy it. Stay away from artificial sweetners as well. To sweeten something, sparingly use maple syrup, honey or brown rice syrup. There is also a natural sweetner called stevia that is excellent. Just get the water based king as the glycerine and alcohol based ones tend to have a bitter aftertaste.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.