Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can I insist to my LBS to cut my steerer after they told me "not advisable"? I wanted my seat to level with my handlebar for easier climbs and control but I don't like my spacers piling up high over my stem. I am only 5' 3 in height and I can't get a better cockpit but to cut my steerer of my xc fork. What do you all think about this?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
prime said:
Can I insist to my LBS to cut my steerer after they told me "not advisable"? I wanted my seat to level with my handlebar for easier climbs and control but I don't like my spacers piling up high over my stem. I am only 5' 3 in height and I can't get a better cockpit but to cut my steerer of my xc fork. What do you all think about this?
Did they give a reason as to why it isn't advisable? I can't think of any structural reasons for not cutting a steerer, but they may be concerned that it's an irreversible procedure.

You can also cut it yourself with a vice, a steady hand and a sharp hacksaw.

·
Registered
291 Posts
prime said:
Why did they advise against it? Did they give you any reason? It's very easy in case you decide to diy. A pipe cutter from Home Depot will give you a nice straight cut. You may have to file down the edges a bit.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
said pipe cutter from home depot works like a charm, nicer (straighter) finish than the saw route.

i cut steerers to the maximize the spacers provided with the headset. if the rider want less (which is the only way they can go...) then i cut it.

just remember the process is irreversable. both for yourself and anyone who may buy it second hand from you.

consider this. move the stem down and put some of the spacers above the stem and tighten. this will allow you to test the waters of a cut steerer without commiting. once you mess around and find the perfect height you can - have it cut or cut it yourself. OR you can leave it as is, you just have to stand the wacky look...

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
I'm confused....

prime said:
Like the others, I'm interested to hear why they suggested not cutting the steerer. It's standard practice to do so. Unless you're planning on selling the fork.

We need more details.

Ken

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
prime said:
The only reasonable explanation I can think of for this is if you ever plan on reselling the fork. Its easier to sell a used fork with a long steerer. Since your frame is small that means the head tube is short. Anyone with a larger frame will likely not be able to use it. Beyond that I can't think of any reason for not cutting it once you're sure you know the height you want. It saves some weight and I don't think its very safe to have a shaft of spacers sticking out the top of the stem.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
nogearshere said:
sa

consider this. move the stem down and put some of the spacers above the stem and tighten. this will allow you to test the waters of a cut steerer without commiting. once you mess around and find the perfect height you can - have it cut or cut it yourself. OR you can leave it as is, you just have to stand the wacky look...
yep GREAT ADVICE...use a 7 dollar pipe cutter from Home Depot

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah, you are *supposed* to cut the steerer down, that's why they only come in one, long length! I always cut my steerer tubes a little too long so I need to put one 2mm or 5mm spacer on top. I do this to allow for any mistakes in cutting, make sure there is full engagement of the stem on the steerer, allow for different stack heights of stems and headsets in the future, and a little leeway in case I want to use the fork on another bike.

I say cut away, either with a pipe cutter or hack saw. If you use a saw, wrap a piece of tape around the steerer to use as a guide to cut straight.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Hecubus said:
I don't think its very safe to have a shaft of spacers sticking out the top of the stem.
ah it's fine...if your face or other vital organs are that close to the stem you have other things to be concerned with...next you'll say running with scissors is bad, when falling on top of the scissors in question is the real problem...

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Hmmm

If you're that worried about making a mistake, why not cut it long and use one spacer above the stem? Not that big a deal. I can't see leaving a steerer tube uncut and having using about a dozen spacers. Now that would not be advisable.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Guyechka said:
If you're that worried about making a mistake, why not cut it long and use one spacer above the stem? Not that big a deal. I can't see leaving a steerer tube uncut and having using about a dozen spacers. Now that would not be advisable.
I like to cut to use a 3-5mm spacer over the stem. Leaves some room to adjust for a different stem, bar or headset.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Leaving a little bit of room over the stem for a 5 or 10mm spacer is usually a good idea. Particularly with carbon steerers (applies mainly to road bikes). This ensures the stem will clamp fully and evenly around the steerer tube.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Like Shigz said.. I always leave my steerer tube a bit on the long side for adjustment purposes..just use some spacers over the top of the stem.

If you get yourself some coloured / carbon / polished spacers it can look quite good ... :)

R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.