Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my craptastic front shock are craptastic rubber thingies that cover the upper part of the shock (you know, the purty, shiny part) and the one just kind of bunches up and looks dumb. Can I take them off? Are they actually protecting something? I know there's plenty of shocks without the rubber thingies (that's the technical term, right?) but I was a little worried that mine had them because they were actually needed. Thanks!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Shock Boots

bigbadwimp said:
On my craptastic front shock are craptastic rubber thingies that cover the upper part of the shock (you know, the purty, shiny part) and the one just kind of bunches up and looks dumb. Can I take them off? Are they actually protecting something? I know there's plenty of shocks without the rubber thingies (that's the technical term, right?) but I was a little worried that mine had them because they were actually needed. Thanks!
Shock boots are necessary on less expensive shocks because they keep dust, dirt and derbis off of the sliders and away from the seals.

The seals on more expensive shocks are capable of doing this without the fork boots.

Keep them on.

Ken

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Actually the cost isn't the only factor. My Marzocchi Z3('98) had no boots and my Manitou ('01) with my Titus had them. While most cheap shocks have boots for that .02 wow factor there are some high end ones that used to have them for extra protection.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Most forks can benefit from fork boots. Maintenance intervals can be extended and service life lengthened. However, around 1994 when the trick, light Easton aluminum upper tubes started appearing, someone in marketing decided that the sponsored XC racers of the day would ride sans boots to show off those trick upper tubes. Many ordinary riders removed their fork boots because they liked the look and figured if the pros got away with it, why not? No one thought of the fact that the pros got new forks for every race and had a small army of mechanics to look after their bikes.

Fast forward to today. Fork boots are considered unfashionable,and most people are lucky to get two riding seasons out of a set of forks, and Ebay is loaded with clapped out forks only a few years old.

Fashon is a *****, huh?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I gotta disagree with you partially on this one. Bootless is definately fashion forward right now, but the boots didn't prevent dirt from getting in, the were all vented and would suck in dusty air when decompressing. As long as regular maintainance is done any fork will last a while.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
You shouldn't allow one bad design to sway your opinion of the entire concept. A well sealed boot, with the capcity to absorb the air displaced by compression/extension, will extend suspension life considerably.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another option

If you don't like the look of the original rubber, then I recomend Lizard skins. I have had them on my forks for a couple of seasons now and like them alot.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Zanetti said:
Most forks can benefit from fork boots. Maintenance intervals can be extended and service life lengthened. ?
also they protect the fork if you crash....stops scratches in your "stancions"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts