Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what a reasonable price for a LBS to cut a steer tube would be? My shop is known for ripping people off on labor stuff (but its the only decent shop around so I have no choice). Also, would it be possible for me to do it myself with a pipe cutter? Or is it too risky and I should just let someone experienced do it?

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Prison escape tools : hacksaw and file .

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Use a pipecutter at first to make a nice ring then switch to a hacksaw. Use a file to get any burs/risers afterwards.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i highly recommend a pipecutter. just do it nice and slow so you dont ovalize the tube. even slow it should only take about 5 minutes. just clean the inside with a full round file. the starnut on the other hand is not so simple and should be down with the correct tool.

as for price i think about 20 is fair

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
my lbs did it for free for me. i didnt ask how much or anything liek that i told them exactly where to cut, was straight foward and everything. though i do go in to my lbs alot so they know my face.but i went into the store knowing that it would be around 15 to 20$ but as soon as the mechanic was done cutting i asked himn how much it would be he said" ehh im not gonna charge u, it was way to easy for me to cut that thing" pretty sweet i must say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.