Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just got a front disc, avid mechanical. Now it hits my rockymounts tray!
I called them and they said it's fine to cut it, but the powder coat will start to flake off. or i can pay $20 for a fancy adaptor... no thanks.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? I was just going to hacksaw the thing, but i dont want sharp edges. I don't want it to look too ghetto, since it's on a decent car.

just checking... want to draw on the collective knowledge that is... MTBR!

happy trails.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Hacksaw then file the edges, then maybe spraypaint the area black, if you're real interested in it looking nice?

I picked up a disc specific mount last year from them, and the adapter looks purty nice.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Dremel...

jh_on_the_cape said:
Hi
Just got a front disc, avid mechanical. Now it hits my rockymounts tray!
I called them and they said it's fine to cut it, but the powder coat will start to flake off. or i can pay $20 for a fancy adaptor... no thanks.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? I was just going to hacksaw the thing, but i dont want sharp edges. I don't want it to look too ghetto, since it's on a decent car.

just checking... want to draw on the collective knowledge that is... MTBR!

happy trails.
Use the cutting wheel on a dremel, then grind it smooth with the grinding tool. Go to a hobby store and buy a small jar of model paint to match your rack color. Paint it over and that should help limit the amount of flaking the powder coating will do.

Ken

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
don't cut it at all

I had the same problem with my Yakima trays but instead of cutting anything I just took a big adjustable wrench and bent the tray inward a little bit until the brakes cleared (actually I only did that to one tray. The other was "adjusted" at the trailhead with a hammer). Depending on how much more clearance you need this might not work and even if it does your powder coat may crack and flake. But if you only need a little more space this alternative may be much less noticable then a big notch cut out of your tray.

·
Wolf nipple chips
504 Posts
yeah, no big deal.

here's what i did to my Thule tray to fit a Hayes caliper. i didn't bother spray painting it, but i did file the edges so that there wasn't any sharpness on it. It's only on a Geo Prizm, so it's no big deal. besides, the notch really isn't noticable from a distance unless you know what to look for.

Attachments

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cabin Fever said:
here's what i did to my Thule tray to fit a Hayes caliper. i didn't bother spray painting it, but i did file the edges so that there wasn't any sharpness on it. It's only on a Geo Prizm, so it's no big deal. besides, the notch really isn't noticable from a distance unless you know what to look for.
thanks for the replies so far. I might try the 'just bend it' approach first and see how it works. If it's hopeless, I will cut it.

the trays are black. in the past I have used a black sharpie marker to touch up black things.

for the full on dremel tool touch up paint route... while being very nice, i would just get the real disc adaptor at that point.

GEO prizms are great! 34 mpg on the highway! you win.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
my 2 cents

Just adding to the discussion. If you do cut it, I reccomend using the black spray paint specific to gas grills. It rocks and sticks great and has a robust look. And you can always grill a hot dog on the way home from the trail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts