Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
meow
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to install a new fork and am not sure that I should invest in Park's saw guide to cut the tube. Has anyone used other alternatves, and with what results?

Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cato said:
I'm about ready to install a new fork and am not sure that I should invest in Park's saw guide to cut the tube. Has anyone used other alternatves, and with what results?

I use a tubing cutter, available at any hardware store. Some people don't like to use them cause they work by displacement and can slightly flair the tube. But if you take your time and tighten in small increments this won't be a problem.

And remebmer, you can always cut more off later but you can't add back on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have used

an old stem. Just clamp it on a hair below where you want to cut. If you'r e off a little just use a file to even it out.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Cato said:

Use an automotive hoseclamp as a guide and hacksaw it. File smooth and chanfer edges.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cato said:

I have used the following methods with success: Piece of tape, pipe cutter, an old stem, Park saw guide.

Pipe cutter took a while, I'd rather use a hack saw.

As long as you are careful, work slow, and can stay on course, a piece of tape as a guide works just fine.

The old stem trick, personally I thought it was easier just using a piece of tape.

Using the Park guide makes the task simple, fast, accurate, and brainless.

How many forks do you plan on cutting in your lifetime? The guide is $25. All things considered, it is worth it to me.

·
meow
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. It's worth $25 for the saw guide to get it right the first time. Measure twice and cut once! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts