Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am looking for a full susp. frame for my bike. I am currently riding a Jamis HT and want something smoother and hi-tech.
I usually ride long epics trails and aggressive XC trails and maybe will start racing some marathon next year.
I´ve researched a lot and figured out that the best option would be a Flux, Racer X 100, Truth, Spider or Blux XC. I am 1,90 m and wheight around 210 lbs.

Thx

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Iron Horse Azure
DW link rear suspension.
3.5" rear
100mm fork

Just Slightly heavier than Racer X/Blur XC. Designed for XC and Enduro (24hr)

Comes in 3 flavors (Comp, Expert, World Cup) Exact same frame for each. Don't be fooled that you need a high end rear shock either. DW link works just as well with very simple rear shock (some say even better than higher end ones). Comp and Expert are significantly cheaper than the other bikes you listed. The World Cup has a super high end parts spec and is priced accordingly.

Also Comes in US made annodized frame set that is priced in the same league as the others listed. Slightly lighter than the overseas made frames but otherwise identical.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If you're Bill Gates, get the IF. Otherwise, BMC Fourstroke for you. 4" of DW link suspension, super plush, yet pedalable, with nice geometry. The Fourstoke handles amazingly, and comes in four flavors, from the Fourstroke Four to the One. Different frame materials as you go up the line. The One is quite light, check weightweenies.starbike.com for the exact numbers. Actually, they're all light, but the One is really impressive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Vulcan said:
It will eat your wallet and first born child, but its an amazing frame for sure...

IF Tungsten Electrode:
http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/tungsten-electrode.shtml

The only way to get a fully custom DW-Link bike.
Amazing bike, but I am far from havin all this money to spend on a bike. $4k just for the frame and shock is crazy.

thanx for the tip anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I know how sweet is the BMC and the Ironhorse, but the point is I want to upgrade only the frame. My actual bike setup is OK for me, only the fork is too heavy, but I like it and I think I can wait to change it after the frame.
Right now my bike setup is XO trigger and Rear D, XTR crankset and Front D, Thomson Stem and seatpost, avid 7, FSA carbon risebar, kings headset and RS Psylo race lockout (2004).
Ive heard wonders about the VPP (spider and blur) but it may be too fragil (bearings), the Racer X looks great and is prooved, but durable??? The Flux is light, 4", brand-new and is a turner.
Is it possible to buy the Ironhorse frame only?

I dont know, I am always afraid when the hype is too big like the VPP hype.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Intense Spider... it has more bling than the Blur XC. Plus, I ride one :)

For a working Joe's budget, look at the Giant Trance too... good stout frame for a clydesdale too.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
We posted at almost the same time... the VPP is well proven and beyond the hype stage. That said, I think any one of the above frames would be great... just pick the one you like the best (and fit well), and ride it like you stole it.

Just curious, of the ones listed, what's your gut reaction? Which one do you like the best?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rich A. said:
We posted at almost the same time... the VPP is well proven and beyond the hype stage. That said, I think any one of the above frames would be great... just pick the one you like the best (and fit well), and ride it like you stole it.

Just curious, of the ones listed, what's your gut reaction? Which one do you like the best?
The Racer X is something I can call my dream bike, but I take my first impressions very carfully. I want to buy a great frame not only a super cool frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hardtails Are Better said:
So buy a BMC frame only. They're avaliable as such.
That would be great, but I have one more problem, I live in Brazil and it may be something like the ultmate quest to buy a swissmade frame around here. Any american made frame is easier/less expensive to get here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to make things harder, another option is to buy a heavier duty frame like a Motolite or a 5.5 or a 5 spot. That would be a whole new territory to me, but I think I can ride XC and epic on a 27lbs, 5" bike. I am not sure how fast a bike like this would handle, but that would let me have fun descending crazyer downhills and higher drops.

The point is, if I change my frame for a Motolite for example and keep my bike setting will the bike handle an eventual XC race?

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Jabura said:
Amazing bike, but I am far from havim all this money to spend on a bike. $4k just for the frame and shock is crazy.

thanx for the tip anyway.
but it comes with a sterling silver head badge!!!

Its an outrageous price to pay for a frame, but if I was looking for an XC frame and someone handed me 5k, that would be what I would get.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Jabura said:
Just to make things harder, another option is to buy a heavier duty frame like a Motolite or a 5.5 or a 5 spot. That would be a whole new territory to me, but I think I can ride XC and epic on a 27lbs, 5" bike. I am not sure how fast a bike like this would handle, but that would let me have fun descending crazyer downhills and higher drops.

The point is, if I change my frame for a Motolite for example and keep my bike setting will the bike handle an eventual XC race?
I say join the crowd and get a trail bike. Most of them climb just as well and descend better. Just swap in your lightweight tires on race day. :thumbsup:

How about an Ibis Mojo?
http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.