Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to cut down shocks at all.........or is that kind of a silly question?
The reason I ask is beacuse I bought a bike, and it is a littttle too big for me. I have 130mm of travel and I know I could use a smaller shock which would lower the bike a bit.

I have SR Duro D Shocks that came stock with the bike. Anyway I can cut them down? Way its looking right now is I will just need to get new shocks......but Im willing for other suggestions.

here are a few pics. I went out biking this morning and you can see by the tie wrap that I didnt use too much shock.

What do you guys think? (im new to this, so Im open to anything!)

·
Registered
422 Posts
No, you can't cut down your fork to make it shorter. You could swap to a fork with less travel, but assuming the bike came with this fork, going to a shorter travel fork will mess up the geometry the bike was designed around.

A bike that is too big for you can't be fixed by having a shorter travel fork. You need one that fits your leg length and torso length correctly.

Your fork has coil springs and based on the pics compared to the Suntour website info/manual, you should be able to adjust the preload on the spring. Lessening the preload should allow the fork to move more into its travel.

In the link below, at the bottom, click on Instruction Sheet - English. Once the instructions load (the instructions are for many models of the Suntour forks, so you have to look only for your specific Duro D fork), go to the bottom of page 4. They explain how to adjust the spring preload:
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SI...11543577a/index.php?screen=sh.detail&tnid=132

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.