Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experiance cutting down ERGON grips to fit grip shifters? Need ideas on how to make this work. I was thinking off using a vice and hacksaw combo. Any better ideas???

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
Take them back to the store (if you can).

Ergon makes shorter grips for gripshifts. Maybe those would work better?

I have no clue about the structural integrity if you cut the end off a clamp-on grip. It might create a whole lot of problems for you.

·
Ergon Bike
882 Posts
cengle33 said:
Does anyone have experiance cutting down ERGON grips to fit grip shifters? Need ideas on how to make this work. I was thinking off using a vice and hacksaw combo. Any better ideas???
As Bankerboy mentioned, we do make them in a GS version. The GP1, GC2, and GR2 are all available in a shorter length to work with GS shifters.

Can you cut them? Yes. I have had some of our athletes do so here in North America. If you must, I suggest using a fine tooth hacksaw.....and take your time.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Registered
388 Posts
I cut an ergon grip down for use on a gripshift 1x9. They cut easily but the hole the bar slides through is not the center of the grip. There will be a thick and a thin side. It's still comfortable, just not 100% pretty.

Put an old handlebar in a vice, slide the grip on backwards, but don't put it on all the way. Leave the piece you want to cut extend off the bar. Wrap a band of tape on the scrap side to use as a guide for cutting. Tighten grip clamp, grab grip with your free hand to stabilize it, and saw it off with a hacksaw.

·
Registered
455 Posts
ERGON said:
As Bankerboy mentioned, we do make them in a GS version. The GP1, GC2, and GR2 are all available in a shorter length to work with GS shifters.

Can you cut them? Yes. I have had some of our athletes do so here in North America. If you must, I suggest using a fine tooth hacksaw.....and take your time.

Jeff
Ergon USA
Yes, Ergon makes a shorty for your twisties...good luck getting them. I special ordered a pair a few weeks back and got the standard size. The shorty was on back order. I decided to cut mine rather than send them back...especially when there was no word on when I'd get the ones I ordered. It worked out OK...just a pain in the butt.

Mikey

·
Ergon Bike
882 Posts
MikeyLikesIt said:
Yes, Ergon makes a shorty for your twisties...good luck getting them. I special ordered a pair a few weeks back and Ergon sent the standard size. The shorty was on back order. I decided to cut mine rather than send them back...especially when there was no word on when I'd get the ones I ordered. It worked out OK...just a pain in the butt.

Mikey
Did you order these direct from us here at Ergon USA or a retailer? I ask, because the GS models have been in stock at our warehouse all year.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Registered
455 Posts
ERGON said:
Did you order these direct from us here at Ergon USA or a retailer? I ask, because the GS models have been in stock at our warehouse all year.

Jeff
Ergon USA
The ones with the bar ends? (I don't remember the model #...the magnesium ones ) I had trouble finding them (in stock) online so I went the LBS route. I had my LBS order them for me. Not sure if they ordered directly from Ergon or a supply house. I never thought to order from Ergon since most manufacturers sell to dealers only...plus my LBS gives me a 10% discount. Live and learn.

BTW, I ordered the Ergons because my hands would get sore after a long ride. Well, there is some slight improvement but I still have soreness in my hands. However, I do like the feel and comfort of the Ergons while riding, and they are a top notch in quality.

Mikey

BTW, Jeff, I edited my first post since I'm not sure of the supplier.

·
Ergon Bike
882 Posts
MikeyLikesIt said:
The ones with the bar ends? (I don't remember the model #...the magnesium ones ) I had trouble finding them (in stock) online so I went the LBS route. I had my LBS order them for me. Not sure if they ordered directly from Ergon or a supply house. I never thought to order from Ergon since most manufacturers sell to dealers only...plus my LBS gives me a 10% discount. Live and learn.

BTW, I ordered the Ergons because my hands would get sore after a long ride. Well, there is some slight improvement but I still have soreness in my hands. However, I do like the feel and comfort of the Ergons while riding, and they are a top notch in quality.

Mikey
Thanks for clearing that up...just wanted to make sure you are all squared away. Distributors here in the USA pick up select Ergon product, so availability is hit-n-miss with some of our products.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I bought the Team Green GX1 and that is not available in the shorty. ARC's suggestion worked great. I did this last night and i'm really happy with the turn out. I'll take some pics when i get a change.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Jeff
Ergon USA
I just purchased the Ergon BioKork GP1-S (off ebay). It still seems to be 1 inch too long. Do you think it's ok to shorten by that amount?
20210429_192619.jpg
20210429_192619.jpg

·
Ergon Bike
882 Posts
I just purchased the Ergon BioKork GP1-S (off ebay). It still seems to be 1 inch too long. Do you think it's ok to shorten by that amount?
View attachment 1928664
No, you cannot cut the grip, as you'll compromise the core and grip security on the bar. Please refer to the grip manual. You'll need to loosen and slide in your shifter and brake levers to fit the grip...then re-tighten them.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,721 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I bought the Team Green GX1 and that is not available in the shorty. ARC's suggestion worked great. I did this last night and i'm really happy with the turn out. I'll take some pics when i get a change.
Still waiting by the computer for those pics....

Reactions: EKram
1 - 14 of 14 Posts