Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening weenies

Is there anything I need to watch out for before I chop 20mm off each end of my Easton EC90 SL CNT Carbon Handlebar ?

Is it just a straight forward job? I will probably use a dremmel cutting tool and finish the edges with a fine sand paper.

Any input greatly appreciated ! :)

Cheers

Ty

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Nice bar - what is the weight? Only thing is warranty. Once altered, I believe Easton will not replace the bar if it happens to fail. Which seems odd to me since they give guidelines on cutting carbon fiber on their website.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
?Ty? said:
Good evening weenies

Is there anything I need to watch out for before I chop 20mm off each end of my Easton EC90 SL CNT Carbon Handlebar ?

Is it just a straight forward job? I will probably use a dremmel cutting tool and finish the edges with a fine sand paper.

Any input greatly appreciated ! :)

Cheers

Ty
When cutting carbon I like to wrap the area to be cut with masking tape. Helps prevent splinters.

Oh yeah, make sure you measure twice. It sucks trying to add bits back on.... :D

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Just cut a klein stratum yesterday. I wrapped the end with masking tape just like easton says to do. No fraying, and with a fine emory cloth it looks great. And now I can make some cool keyrings out of the carbon ends I cut. My first ww bike is just about done!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas.

I think I will make some carbon (finger) rings from my cut sections, looks to be about the right size.

TheRedMantra, I am also on the very edge of finishing my Klein :)

The weather is getting good here in the UK, looks like I might have timed this one just right!!!!!!

Ty

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you're going to use a Dremel, have a vacuum suck up the dust. It's not a good idea to breath that stuff in. Alternatively, use a 32 tpi hack saw. Probably faster as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
divve said:
If you're going to use a Dremel, have a vacuum suck up the dust. It's not a good idea to breath that stuff in. Alternatively, use a 32 tpi hack saw. Probably faster as well.
Cheers divve, I might dremmel it outdoors with end of my hoover taped to the dremmel body, I have done this before and it works well, and I have one of those little white DIY face masks, should be ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.