Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
At 5ft and a 29r with 140/150...you might not even need a riser. From what I've seen an experienced when it comes to shorter riders and 29rs...the handlebar is often way higher than the saddle. You might need to go with a low rise or flatbar to get the bar low enough.

Yes...I did have a VR6 in a Corrado SLC. I had a VF supercharger, Schrick cams, and a Schrick VGI intake manifold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
At 5ft and a 29r with 140/150...you might not even need a riser. From what I've seen an experienced when it comes to shorter riders and 29rs...the handlebar is often way higher than the saddle. You might need to go with a low rise or flatbar to get the bar low enough.

Yes...I did have a VR6 in a Corrado SLC. I had a VF supercharger, Schrick cams, and a Schrick VGI intake manifold.
I loved the Corrado! I wish they'd brought that back. Probably no chance of a car like that from VW anymore, what a shame.

Interesting on the low-rise theory...I didn't even think about the stance of the bike what it might be for her since I'm on the other end of the spectrum with her seat down low (poor flexibility, 5'10"). Her stock bar will be just 20mm rise....which is fairly flat these days. Maybe it'll be fine after all this armchair futzing. But 780 is still going to be too wide I'm sure since that's what I ride. But maybe 730 would be fine who knows?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not so much a narrower-bar fan as much as it just happened to work out that way. I just got back into MTB last year after very little riding since 2010. I was still using the Easton CT2 Monkeylite carbon bar 660mm 25mm rise. The bike is a 2003 so the geo is old school. I wanted to update it with more modern components starting with a shorter stem but it became apparent that the stems for XC now are all much shorter with little to no rise (was using Azonic 110mm 10rise). I needed a high rise handlebar to compensate for the shorter zero rise stem to maintain similar cockpit dimensions and that led me to the Renthal 40mm riser. 740mm was waaaaaaayy wider than what I was used to, but now it seems normal and can't imagine how I was able to ride Moab trails with a 660mm bar LOL.
With the wife's bar, I had bought her a new mail-order bike to get her out riding with me and it came with a Ritchey aluminum riser in 710mm 20mm rise. She's 5'5" and that size seemed to work perfect for her. I wanted to lighten up the bike for her but didn't want her to have to adapt or relearn anything so I got her the Ritchey carbon which has the same width, bend and sweep. It's 10mm taller but with the new Hope XC zero rise stem that setup puts her in the exact same position as before except now the bike's lighter and has way more bling (y).

As far as bar config goes, the 7 sweep/5 bend of the Renthal took a few rides to get used to. It's very "straight" but I absolutely love it now. Now when I get on the wife's bike with 9 sweep/6 bend it feels way more relaxed and much narrower, more so than the numbers would imply. I don't think she'd be happy with how straight and wide the Renthal is now that she's so used to the Ritchey. It really depends on a person's shoulder and wrist mobility if such a straight-ish riser bar will be comfortable or not.

The Masherz coupon is one of those "forever" codes that works on pretty much everything he carries that's not already on sale. I got the Renthal from HiBike as part of a large order and it wound up only costing like $125.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
re stiffness: I bought some cheap BXT carbon riser bars to try, 690mm I think for my old 26er 'shed' bike. I started getting sore knuckles after riding, switched that bike to aluminum Performance bars and the knuckle pain went away (better name brand wider carbon bars on the 29ers with no issues). - there is such a thing as too stiff.
There's nothing wrong with aluminum bars, if you can find some you think would be worth trying out.
Are you sure you need that much rise from the bars?, a bike that small is likely going to have a decently high front end, in my experience, the bigger size bikes start out 'slammed', and it's the smaller sizes where people are often trying to get their hands lower.
Maybe a stem with a little rise would give you more bar options?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@jimPacNW - You may be right on the rise....we have no idea until she can swing a leg over the bike and see what it's like. I have no idea what shim stack or how much steerer tube we'll be left with.

Bike comes stock w/ 35mm-clamp, 40mm length, 0-rise stem and 20mm rise bars (780mm x 35 clamp). After all the discussion, sounds like down-diametering to 31.8 would help on stiffness for a chopped bar. I'm guessing she can at minimum benefit from a shorter 30mm stem anyway to reduce the reach, and if that's the case might as well switch to 31.8 interface and open up the selection.

I agree a high-end Alu bar is probably just fine, but have heard that purposefully-laid carbon weave can dampen vibrations even better for a 'quieter' feeling ride. Having recently switched from Race Face Next R 35 carbon on my Jeffsy to e*13 7-series Alu bar (35) on my Decoy, I might feel that the alu bars are a bit more rough feeling. But tire pressure makes a more noticeable difference. It's subtle.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,951 Posts
The Race Face bars are noticeably stiffer than say.. OneUp carbons (which I prefer, are 35mm and can be cut to 740).. but yea, I can feel the difference between carbon and Al.

If you want some Next R's at 800mm starting width, I got a set I won't use again ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I just put on the OneUp carbons and can say I'm a fan, I can tell the diff in the engineered flex. Friend a while back tried Renthal Carbons and went back to Al, the carbons were too stiff! I don't know if it was the Lites tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
RE: OneUp carbons - you guys with the OneUP carbon, how much do you weight? I'm thinking maybe not for my wife as these are limited to 740mm cut and 35mm interface, but would consider for myself. However, I'm about 270-275# all kitted up and 5'10". That's a lot of weight that OneUp may or may not have considered pushing down on their bars.

I wonder if OneUp might feel too flexy under my weight?

Any of you using this bar on the heavier side? (say > 250 #)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
RE: OneUp carbons - you guys with the OneUP carbon, how much do you weight? I'm thinking maybe not for my wife as these are limited to 740mm cut and 35mm interface, but would consider for myself. However, I'm about 270-275# all kitted up and 5'10". That's a lot of weight that OneUp may or may not have considered pushing down on their bars.

I wonder if OneUp might feel too flexy under my weight?

Any of you using this bar on the heavier side? (say > 250 #)
Sorry, im a flyweight, like hslf you, 140-145 kitted.
on descents and flats, i only notice less hand fatigue. Interestingly, i perceptively noticed the flex on climbs when torquing on the bars.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,951 Posts
I'm about 225 riding, and running them on a hardtail. I don't notice the flex generally, and my observations are pretty similar to taroroots.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,951 Posts
Not really. I mean, it's not noodly. You have to pretty much be cranking on them to notice much of anything. It's kind of the same thing if you're standing over them and press DOWN on them, you can feel them move.. slightly.

Really, when I'm riding.. it's not enough that I even think about it. Except for the lack of hand/forearm pump.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts