Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to cut down the stearer tube on my fork, short of a hacksaw "I just know I'd F that up". I have a dremel, is there an attatchment I can get for this? If so I may have it, though I doubt it. Or should I just take it to the LBS so they can have thier "what $25 bucks". Thanks for any help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
blackagness said:
What's the best way to cut down the stearer tube on my fork, short of a hacksaw "I just know I'd F that up". I have a dremel, is there an attatchment I can get for this? If so I may have it, though I doubt it. Or should I just take it to the LBS so they can have thier "what $25 bucks". Thanks for any help! :thumbsup:
here is a way:
  • you can run masking tape around the point to cut so you know where the line should be
  • use a hack saw and cut close to the masking tape (be sure to be on the correct side of tape)
  • if blade wanders too much, start a new cut in a different spot
  • use a metal file to bring the final "cut" to the edge of tape

it is mostly aesthetics. technically the cut can be all jagged and crooked

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flipnidaho said:
I used to use two stems clamped on the steer as a guide...
First of all it never occured to me to use a guid second of all it never occured to me I could use tape, and third of all I've got two stems "more actually" and that sounds like a plan... Thanks ya'll!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use a pipe cutter, The cut is always straight and right where I want it. You can get one real cheap at a plumbing supply store. :thumbsup:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I've subscribed to the pipe cutter technique for a long time now. Pretty difficult to mess that one up so long as you subscribe to the "measure twice, cut once" theory.

However, the one frustrating thing about pipe cutters is they tend to mushroom the steerer tube at the cut, fattening the outer diameter (making it difficult sometimes to slide through a stem), and creating a tiny lip that may slightly impair the insertion of the star nut.

But this is minor, and nothing a quick pass with some sand paper, a file, or a Dremel can't solve.

Recently I found an inexpensive head tube cutting guide at Performance under their Spin Doctor tool brand. I decided to try this along with a hacksaw, next opportunity I have to shorten a steerer. But I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the pipe cutter method as no-nonsense and relatively foolproof.

·
It's all ball bearings
223 Posts
if its alloy...

you can get a great result using a miter saw with a wood carbide tooth blade in a miter saw- I've done several this way- clean square burr free cut that looks as clean as a machined surface- just need to feed the blade slowly depending on number of teeth

You can do steel steerers this way if you have a steel cutting blade

I do this with the steerer clamped in a vice- final step is a clean up debur on the OD and a small chamfer on the ID to make start nut install easier

:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.