Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still yet to purchase a frame, and am considering a custom/independent build, over a stock machine from a more commercial outlet at the moment, trying to weigh up pro's and con's and at present if I spend the extra cash I am going to get something that is created around my needs...

The builders below are creating frames within a price bracket that I would consider paying.

So my question is what are your views on these particular builders?

waltworks, tom teesdale, desalvo, spicer, curtlo, ionic?

Lastly does anyone know the pricing of the Voodoo Wanga One as i cant seem to find it on the site anywhere...

·
Registered
354 Posts
My 02c

I had a custom geared Curtlo cross bike made, to be my geared cross bike and my road rig. Rides great, beautiful, bright yellow. Doug is nice to work with, but can sometimes be hard to get ahold of. He was at the Seattle bike expo again this year, I met him the year before, that was in march, so he might be busy and have a fairly long wait time, or be hard to get ahold of. He also was late on getting my order out by 2or 3 weeks, but the finished product was worth it.
I have heard good things about Walt works and spicer on this board, they are also a very good buy. I have some friends that ride custom Vulture frames and really like them, but Vulture has gone up in price, not sure were it is at now, but some of the custom paint is really nice. Have seen some Desalvo bikes, very nice and pretty, but a pricier option.
hope this helps
ADAM

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
i have a curtlo ss and it's a great ride. i've had it for about 4 years now. he was real easy to work with, i explained what i wanted and he delivered. it fits perfect.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think you'll find that most people who go custom are pretty darn happy with their ride. Mostly because it's custom, assuming you got all the numbers and angles right. Some builders tend to specialize a bit - Walt tends to do 29ers, Vulture tends towards SS, yadda yadda - so that may factor into your decision. I say call em, check out the prices, get an estimate of wait time and then go with what feels best. If one happens to be local, that's a big plus I think. I had Walt build me a 29er EBB SS/gearie. Delivered ahead of schedule. Fits and rides great. Good price. Great guy. But I've never heard anything bad about anyone really, except for maybe late deliveries. Anyway, those are some thoughts. S

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks so far... my problem is being in australia it is pretty hard to get an idea of what is what from the web, and it seems that custom builders here are super expensive and out of my league... hence my business coming this away!

:)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Check out the custom builders forum. Also, just search for your particular builders throughout all forums. (not being an ass, I swear!)

I don't have any first hand knowledge with any of those builders, so I can't help ya out.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
done that briefly just a moment ago... but this is getting all too much and i dont even have a SS yet but i have just brought a silver king headset, black thomson stem n seat post, and a flite saddle because i cant hold myself back... and i am now looking at hope mini discs...

The prices in the states are just way to cheap compared to Australia...

argh!!!

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
I am sure they are all great. I have never really heard anything bad about any of them, and they all make a beautiful bike.

What I can tell you is that I went on a ski trip out to Colorado in March and was able to sneak over to Boulder and ride with Walt one afternoon. He is a super nice and generous guy. Plus, he can ride the crap out of a bike. He was on an SS the day I rode with him and he flat out put the hurt on me. My low-lander lungs got a real workout. I had a blast, and he cheered me on as I sucked wind and rode the brakes down some scary (for me) descents.

Real laid back, super nice guy that builds and rides a lot of bikes...what else could you want in a builder?

Good Luck

LP

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
I like my Waltworks

I love my Waltworks SS 29r, Walt treated me right on the frame and on the parts of the build kit which I got through him. I think his frames are a great value and he saved me $$ on the fork, brakes, post, stem, etc.

You may narrow the choices on a custom builder, by sending them an email and asking if they are willing to build and ship a frame to Australia. If a builder does not like that idea, it does not make him a bad builder, but you can cross him off your list.

Be careful of buying and shipping a used bike there, it may be held in quarantine and you could be charged big bucks to disinfect it. TR can tell you a horror story about that.

I sell stuff on ebay and send stuff there all the time, as long as the items are small and not too heavy it is easy. Bikes and frames can be a bit of a hassle to ship international.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think there is a custom builder on here who is down under but the name escapes me... nice bikes too. Sorry this isn't much help...

oh wait maybe it's thylacine or something like that.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Depends what you want in a build

Jade said:
I am still yet to purchase a frame, and am considering a custom/independent build, over a stock machine from a more commercial outlet at the moment, trying to weigh up pro's and con's and at present if I spend the extra cash I am going to get something that is created around my needs...
You have to define needs. Is it speed of delivery, paint scheme options, material, location, riding style, etc.

Vulture just completed my steel SS and offered unlimited (amazibg!) paint options for a very reasonable price. All custom. They are doing 29" and 26". I alsio liked them because they are more local to me than others.
Define what you want/need and call some builders - ask them the same series of questions and go with your gut. You'll love your new rig, especially if you connect with the builder!

Go for it!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i love you guys...!

i have seen the thylacine, and they are lovely bikes, but in the region of $2000 for a frame which would see me selling my body to pay off!

Still trying to gain knowledge on bikes as i am still pretty new to it all... i want to start with a single speed that is gonna work for me, and be especially for me... and something that i can build up...

i am gonna send off some emails this evening and try and start some communication happening and see where it takes me.

oh will look through ramblumtick....

for me the bike is something i can ride to work, ride around the city, around home, down the beach, up bush, or just simply look at late at night and smile... i want a SS for everything, and i will use my RM when smashin around the woods.

I think so far I am looking at walt and curtlo's!

edit: just an after thought... if i aint had a hell of a lot of experience with bikes would it be better if i brought a stock frame, and then started to work out what it is i needed out of a frame later?

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Jade said:
edit: just an after thought... if i aint had a hell of a lot of experience with bikes would it be better if i brought a stock frame, and then started to work out what it is i needed out of a frame later?
not really. talk to the builder about what you are looking for. what kind of terrain, riding style, etc. i spent a lot of time talking to doug when i bought my curtlo. he asked a lot of questions (which is a good sign) about the kind of riding and where, etc. i took some phycial dimensions explained what i liked and didn't like about my then current ride, and viola! my new bike was perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.