Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy components for a custom wheelset build.

I will have a LBS do the actual build, but I want to pick out all the components.

I want to make sure that the components I am choosing WILL ACTUALLY WORK together, and would like the communities help in doing that! ;)

I would also like to make sure I am accounting for all the parts, and like recommendations for the parts I haven't picked yet. :thumbsup:

My current build:

1. 2008 Ellsworth Truth
  2. SRAM X9 Components
  3. 3x9

Current Components I have picked, will they work? :

1. Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub - BLUE - QR - 32H - ( Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub - QR | Chain Reaction Cycles )
  2. Hope Pro 2 Evo Front Hub - BLUE - QR - 32H - ( Hope Pro 2 Evo Front Hub - QR | Chain Reaction Cycles )
  3. Spank Oozy EVO 26AL Rim 2014 - BLUE - 32H - 26" - ( Spank Oozy EVO 26AL Rim 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles )

What Components do I still need? :
  1. Spokes?
  2. Nipples?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your set up looks great. Curious about the final result. Will you post it when you've done?

https://*****************.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/10/buy.gif
I will definitely post, I can't wait to get it all done, should be a nice rig! :)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Where you located? If you were close to here (Hawaii), building your own wheelset is a fun, learning experience and I'd certainly be happy to work with you through the process. I've been building my own bikes for well over 30+ years and have to admit, great feeling to be able to say you build it up the way you wanted.

Answering your question above, those components look great. There are a number of posts out there on how to calculate what size spokes you need. If you're unsure on how to do this, this could be a great opportunity to build a relationship with your LBS on how to select the spoke length etc.

Good luck, look forward to your outcome on this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where you located? If you were close to here (Hawaii), building your own wheelset is a fun, learning experience and I'd certainly be happy to work with you through the process. I've been building my own bikes for well over 30+ years and have to admit, great feeling to be able to say you build it up the way you wanted.

Answering your question above, those components look great. There are a number of posts out there on how to calculate what size spokes you need. If you're unsure on how to do this, this could be a great opportunity to build a relationship with your LBS on how to select the spoke length etc.

Good luck, look forward to your outcome on this.
Aloha! I wish I was located in Hawaii, as it is one of my favorite travel destinations in North America, and I would definitely take you up on your offer to help me learn. I am a DIY'er at heart, and would love to know more about building and maintaining bikes. I think this go around I will pick out the components and build a relationship with a LBS by having them lace my hoops. ;-)

I will be sure to post pics, when all is said and done. Mahalo!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Aloha! I wish I was located in Hawaii, as it is one of my favorite travel destinations in North America, and I would definitely take you up on your offer to help me learn. I am a DIY'er at heart, and would love to know more about building and maintaining bikes. I think this go around I will pick out the components and build a relationship with a LBS by having them lace my hoops. ;-)

I will be sure to post pics, when all is said and done. Mahalo!
Great plan. Build relationships, networking. And hey, maybe some day you'll make it out here for some trail riding where you'll be able to show off your wheels that you designed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts