Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'd go with Odds and Endos.

He's built several sets of wheels for me and I'm about to order another. My first set of handbuilt wheels was from Universal Cycles. I wasn't especially pleased, although the wheels were okay. Mike from Odds and Endos is a better value and I felt his wheels were superior.

Joel

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
I agree...

That a lot of great builders have been mentioned here. I'm loyal to Dave Thomas at www.speeddream.com. He takes all the time you need to help you decide which wheelset will fit perfectly for you, your bike, and your riding style.

Hope this helps!

:cool:

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
dingleberry said:
Thinking of going the Universal Cycles route. Who is the best online retailer when considering cost and quality of the build?
Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com or Mike at oddsandendos.com. I've had wheelsets from both and they are both excellent builders, and their prices are typically hard to beat.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
this is pretty subjective

There is no 'place' that is better than anywhere else. It's all about the person doing the sewing on YOUR wheels.
If they have a bad day........
If it would be possible nail down a couple of consistencies.....it'd go something like this.

ANY reputable dealer/maker/bike shop, should be paying someone enough $$ to keep them happy if their job is to build wheels.

Places I'd generally avoid (but in a pinch, have gotten quality work off the shelf) are the mass market pre made wheels (Performance etc)
The wheels are 'assembled' in most cases, but you'd be wise to go over them with a tensiometer, or your fingers.

My personal favorite for many years for HIGH quality wheels......Colorado Cyclist

Cheers

Cmdr 'I got to ride Demo yesterday while 'yall were snowed in' Piffle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.