Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a virtual newb when it comes to anything bike related, especially wheels. I want to get some custom wheels built, but have no clue on what type of hoop/rim, spokes, nipples, etc, etc ... I do not need info on hubs as I already have xtr hubs that will be used. Can someone give me a good wheel build that will work with these hubs and will also meet the below requriements?

- Tubeless and tube compatible
- Light (I want the wheels to be around what the xtr or mavic sl wheels weigh).
- Strong
- wheels and spokes must be black (just for appearence).
- cost i would like to get them built for about $200 - 300.

If several of you can give me a list of of the above information it would greatly be appreciated, thanks

bert

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
bertperez said:
I am a virtual newb when it comes to anything bike related, especially wheels. I want to get some custom wheels built, but have no clue on what type of hoop/rim, spokes, nipples, etc, etc ... I do not need info on hubs as I already have xtr hubs that will be used. Can someone give me a good wheel build that will work with these hubs and will also meet the below requriements?

- Tubeless and tube compatible
- Light (I want the wheels to be around what the xtr or mavic sl wheels weigh).
- Strong
- wheels and spokes must be black (just for appearence).
- cost i would like to get them built for about $200 - 300.

If several of you can give me a list of of the above information it would greatly be appreciated, thanks

bert
You wont find wheels w UST rims handbuilt in that price demographic.
You will find the Mavic UST cross roc and mavic cross**** wheel sets.
And yes they have black spokes.
They are machine made so beware but there are deals on them all over the place.
Like $200 and up. If you want something custom with UST rims, its probably $350 + because the dang rims are $75 each.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I just built up some hella light and damn good-looking wheels. I used:

Sun UFO rims $40 each
DT Swiss Revolution Spokes $90 for 64 spokes
Brass Nipples $.10 each
Chris King Hubs (red!) $ A lot.

Sun claims the UFO rims weigh only 390 gr (Mavic 717's claim 420g). They are also a lot cheaper. I haven't had them that long, so I can't really vouch for durability. They are black (even the braking surface is black). Revolutions are some of the lightest spokes around, and you can get them in black as well, although if you're going disc, some might recommend a more stout spoke like the Competitions. You could get lighter with alloy nipples. I chose brass because I didn't want to worry about some of the problems that occur with alloy, even though the red would have looked awesome.

As far as the tubeless thing, the UFO rims aren't UST, but you could use Stan's No-Tubes. I am planning on doing that myself soon. I haven't looked this up for myself, but I hear that UST tires tend to be heavier than regular tires. I think the No-Tubes runs around $40, add that to the price of the rims, and you're still looking at less than UST rims.

Are you building these wheels yourself or having someone else do it? Just curious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SpeedDreamin said:
I just built up some hella light and damn good-looking wheels. I used:

Sun UFO rims $40 each
DT Swiss Revolution Spokes $90 for 64 spokes
Brass Nipples $.10 each
Chris King Hubs (red!) $ A lot.

Sun claims the UFO rims weigh only 390 gr (Mavic 717's claim 420g). They are also a lot cheaper. I haven't had them that long, so I can't really vouch for durability. They are black (even the braking surface is black). Revolutions are some of the lightest spokes around, and you can get them in black as well, although if you're going disc, some might recommend a more stout spoke like the Competitions. You could get lighter with alloy nipples. I chose brass because I didn't want to worry about some of the problems that occur with alloy, even though the red would have looked awesome.

As far as the tubeless thing, the UFO rims aren't UST, but you could use Stan's No-Tubes. I am planning on doing that myself soon. I haven't looked this up for myself, but I hear that UST tires tend to be heavier than regular tires. I think the No-Tubes runs around $40, add that to the price of the rims, and you're still looking at less than UST rims.

Are you building these wheels yourself or having someone else do it? Just curious.
- This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for ... =)
- I already have the hubs (xtr m965) so the $200 - 300 price I want to spend is on rims, spokes, and nipples (anything else I need?).
- I am not going to be building these wheels myself, my lbs will be doing the labor. I just want to do some research before I go and spend my money.

bert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.