Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I would like to get some feedback on a wheel build that I want to build up

I was planning on building my wheels up with Specialized Stout (DT 240 i think), Dt 240s rear, stans 355 rims. The only thing im not very sure on is the spokes I was thinking maybe dt revos or supercomps. I weigh about 130lbs and these wheels will be going on an 09' air 9, ran tubeless, and ridden mainly as a cross country race wheelset. lemme know what you think,

thanks,
Kelnhofer

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
sounds like a sweet wheelset. I don't think you'll have any problems on the Revos. Actually, for what you want to do, the Revo would be the first spoke I'd recommend. I laced VXCs to Halo SixDrives about a year ago for XC racing and they have been bombproof. I ride aggressively and weigh 200 lbs. I've used them for fixies, road bikes, and loaded touring bikes and have never seen a problem. Because they are thin you'll have to watch the wind-up, but it's not really that big a deal. Use Wheelsmith Spoke Prep, grease the nipples at the seat, and keep fingers on the spokes as you tighten nipples and you'll feel what's going on. IMO the best way to deal with it is to feel the spoke and be conscious of the movement, then turn the nipple past where you need it and turn back (i.e., if you need to make a 1/8-turn adjustment, turn the nipple 1/4 forward and 1/8 back).
You'll still see wind-up with Supercomps, it will just be a little less.
good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.