Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More for my understanding than anything, if I were to send a shock to a few different tuners like Push and Avalanche with the same specs, ie riding style, rider weight, frame design. Would the shock come back performing the same or does a lot of it come down to what the individual tuner likes?

For example would one tuner focus more on control and another focuses more on a racy feel? Or do they all interpret shock performance roughly the same.

I know it's kind of a vague question, but it's something I've been thinking about lately after reading a thread about avalanche or Elka and how their take on shock performance is different.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll try to ask this a different way since I got no replies.

If I buy a CCDB, Malcolm looks at a chart find my bike and weight and tells me how to set it up. If I send a shock to push does Darren look at a chart and then set up the shims to react the same as the CCDB.

Not that the shocks would be the same, but that the performance is designed to be the same ie the rebound works at a certain speed, etc...

Another question, does a tuner with a more exhaustive data base, put out a better product because they have more experience on what works?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
My understanding is they do address known suspension issues / customer feedback. They then apply a customers tune wish. I think a lot depends on the end user conveying what they actually want out of their shock. Each shock has tuning limitations - Personally an adjustable (hi /lo compression) custom tune shock makes most sense. Only someone that has used the same shock on the same bike from two different tuners can answer your base question.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Not all suspension tuners are created equally. :D

Technically, you can "tune" a fork or shock by changing oil viscosity and volumes. I'm bias, but would argue that our tuning process is quite different than that approach. I would also say that our experience plays a LARGE part in our tuning approach/theory. We have arguably the largest database of customers that have had their suspension tuned. This database doubles as a huge sounding board for those riders. This feedback is what we work off of when working with new components and keeps us going in the right direction.

As an example, our first generation RockShox 32mm rebound kit was not as well received as we thought it would have based on test rider feedback during its development. Because tuning is subjective, we got it wrong. Well, right for us....wrong for a large portion of customers. This led to a redesign based on that feedback. So today we have a broader tuning range for those forks and are delivering a product that is what the end user is looking for, not what we think is best for you.

Darren

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.