Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much difference will the brand/model of shock matter if getting a custom tune on top? This is for my son's 24" transition ripcord that comes with a Monarch R. I was also considering the Manitou Mara but also open to other shocks (165x38). Doing the custom tube on the Monarch R will obviously be way cheaper than buying a Mara and getting that tuned, but curious how big of a difference a Mara vs Monarch R would be if both have custom tunes.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
The spring is more important than the damper, either way you will need a soft tune but if there is too much friction or a funky spring curve then it still won’t work that well.

The Mara isn’t very common so I haven’t worked on one but they have a fixed negative air spring which usually means they would only be ideal for a certain pressure range. If you are below that pressure then it will sag too easily. Leverage ratio will play in to that too, a higher leverage bike won’t be as affected.

the monarch has a self-equalising air spring so works roughly similar at any air pressure

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spring is more important than the damper, either way you will need a soft tune but if there is too much friction or a funky spring curve then it still won't work that well.

The Mara isn't very common so I haven't worked on one but they have a fixed negative air spring which usually means they would only be ideal for a certain pressure range. If you are below that pressure then it will sag too easily. Leverage ratio will play in to that too, a higher leverage bike won't be as affected.

the monarch has a self-equalising air spring so works roughly similar at any air pressure
thanks for the info. The reason I was considering the Mara is because people seem to have really liked the McLeod that came OEM on a few different kids bikes the last few years that had their kids/nino tune. I had looked for a McLeod in 165x38 for the last few months on/off but havent had any luck, so am now considering the Mara instead.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
How much difference will the brand/model of shock matter if getting a custom tune on top? This is for my son's 24" transition ripcord that comes with a Monarch R. I was also considering the Manitou Mara but also open to other shocks (165x38). Doing the custom tube on the Monarch R will obviously be way cheaper than buying a Mara and getting that tuned, but curious how big of a difference a Mara vs Monarch R would be if both have custom tunes.
The custom tune is the biggest thing. I have the tune details for the McLeod/Mara Nino tune but haven't done one yet.

Monarchs varied a lot in air-can design etc. I'm not sure I've ever seen an inline Monarch R. Plenty of RT's with lockout levers. A few Plus R's (piggy back but no climb-switch).

I've got your email, should get a reply back to you tomorrow. Been a bit slammed these last two weeks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The custom tune is the biggest thing. I have the tune details for the McLeod/Mara Nino tune but haven't done one yet.

Monarchs varied a lot in air-can design etc. I'm not sure I've ever seen an inline Monarch R. Plenty of RT's with lockout levers. A few Plus R's (piggy back but no climb-switch).

I've got your email, should get a reply back to you tomorrow. Been a bit slammed these last two weeks.
Thanks no worries. Is the expectation that the McLeod and Mara will perform similarly after tuning? Sounds like they're pretty similar on the insides based on what I read in here.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The tune on the ripcord still in not good enough for lighter rider. Custom tune on the monarch will make a huge difference (my own ripcord experience). .

The forks are pretty bad.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tune on the ripcord still in not good enough for lighter rider. Custom tune on the monarch will make a huge difference (my own ripcord experience). .

The forks are pretty bad.
Thanks your ripcord thread was def useful to go through as I was building my bike and looking at upgrades. For the fork we have the manitou one already on there which is pretty sick, so just the back shocks to worry about. Saw you had gone with the debonair can first. Was that pre or post tuning? Was there a big diff between the tuned monarch and the cane creek one I saw you had out on after? I'd rather just spend the money now and get something that will work well vs going half way with tuning the monarch and then switching later anyways, but also don't want to spend the extra $$ if it's not needed and the tuned monarch R will work pretty well

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just in general what has worked for kids bikes and what hasn't.
I've had a couple of shocks tuned for my kids because they were crap as standard. Its in the family section on here. There are a few other threads in there as well. Recently got a monarch RT3 tuned for middle child but left the forks (fox 34 performance 2016) as they seemed to be working ok for him all be it at a stupidly low pressure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do I find your ripcord thread?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had a couple of shocks tuned for my kids because they were crap as standard. Its in the family section on here. There are a few other threads in there as well. Recently got a monarch RT3 tuned for middle child but left the forks (fox 34 performance 2016) as they seemed to be working ok for him all be it at a stupidly low pressure.
did you find the upgrade from the tuned monarch R to the Cane Creek DBAir (seems like you tuned that also) on the ripcord worthwhile?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up deciding to just get the monarch R tuned. It ended up being not that much more expensive to buy a new monarch R and have it shipped directly to the shop vs. sending the one on the bike (sending the one on the bike would require factory service + tune, whereas a brand new one would only require a tune). I considered getting a different shock but not that many options at 165x38, and any other option would have significantly increased the price with unclear benefit (found monarch R on sale also). They're going to change the shim stacks for compression/rebound, lighter oil, and less psi in the nitrogen charge and then test it on the dyno. I brought up the debonair air can, but decided to skip it since none of their distributors/rockshox had it in stock currently and they mentioned it wouldnt make a difference on the tuning, so doing it now or later wouldnt matter so may as well try it without and see how that goes with just the tune.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.