Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a welder and metal fabricator and I have a some customized tools that i have made for digging trails, building jumps and moving dirt. They work great for the trails I have built. I am just wondering what everyone thinks about me trying to sell custom trail building tool? is that something you would buy, if it was reasonably priced?
I am just trying to get a feel for it, input would be appreciated.
thanks

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
cannonballcrew1 said:
I am a welder and metal fabricator and I have a some customized tools that i have made for digging trails, building jumps and moving dirt. They work great for the trails I have built. I am just wondering what everyone thinks about me trying to sell custom trail building tool? is that something you would buy, if it was reasonably priced?
I am just trying to get a feel for it, input would be appreciated.
thanks
If it resembles a Pulaski with a wider grub, 40"+ handle, ....wait, just post some pics!

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
make a McCloud w/ carbon fiber handle:thumbsup:

or any tool handle for that matter!
(yes...i know that's not practical)
But, I do think McClouds are one of the easiest to make and hardest to find

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would love to have something with the broad head of a mattox and the handle of an italian grubbing hoe, but handles don't match up. Or maybe a modified bark spud with a spot to use my foot to apply force to break through tough bark.

·
Anti-Outsourcer
319 Posts
How about a pulaski with a reasonably sized grub hoe instead of those jokes they come with... Oh, and under $100.

Why in the world do they go from $35 for a Mexican made poorly engineered model straight up to $200 for an over-engineered "professional" model?!?

I'd be willing to lay down $50-60 for one that just freakin' worked, you know? I don't need a composite handle, titanium hardware, feng shui graphics, etc... An ash handle on a well-tempered head that does what it is supposed to would make my freaking day :thumbsup:

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
highdelll said:
make a McCloud w/ carbon fiber handle:thumbsup:

or any tool handle for that matter!
(yes...i know that's not practical)
But, I do think McClouds are one of the easiest to make and hardest to find
The dreaded yellow handle. I have had more broken yellow handles than anything else. I wish I could just get a solid hickory handle on my tools and be done with it.

Actually come to think of it there is a carbon sheet available that is about half the thickness of a kleenex and about as transparent as one as well. One cured ply is fairly neat to look at but you can poke you finger thru it with relative ease. by the time you have two ply then it is significantly more difficult. Take a hickory handled tool wrap and cure 2-5 plys of the carbon tissue under vacuum about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way down the handle and you would have one seriously tough trail tool without adding much weight.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
crux said:
The dreaded yellow handle. I have had more broken yellow handles than anything else. I wish I could just get a solid hickory handle on my tools and be done with it.
Which yellow handled Mcleods are you killing? We have 11 Nupla's, some as old as 3 years, and none have broken. We've had worse luck with the Lamberton's.

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
I have 2 of the Rogue with the 2" pick. It does a great light duty job. Good for fine sculpting. You could spend a long time if you had to dig deep or move a lot of material for a bench. It doesn't hold an edge well in rocky soil. That being said, I wouldn't give it away. I don't think there is a "one tool".

I know I could get a lot of use out of Cannonball's triple wide mattock if it had an axe back instead of the pick.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.