Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in building a fat bike for winter riding in New Hampshire. I tried a few times with my plus size bike on groomed trails and I was often sinking a bit too much. Also want to build it myself for the experience, and I've never done this before.

So I'm looking for input on my shopping list, to make sure everything is compatible. I'm 5'7" 130lbs.

Frame and Fork
Surly Wednesday with stock fork, black, size small. Judging by the price I found it's a couple years old when the colors were black and that dark red.

Headset
cane creek HD2410

Wheels
Surly Other Brother Darryl Front and Rear 170/177mm No way I'm building wheels.

Tires
Open to suggestions here. 4ish inches.
Surly Rim Strips

Drivetrain
this is where I need the most help
Race Face Ride cranks WWC says it's for 190/197mm hubs, but Race Face website says 170mm, wheel I linked earlier is 170/177mm. So I'm confused
Race Face threaded BB Trying to use something that uses the BBT-79 park tool.
Chainring 26 teeth do I care if it's boost or not?
For the rest of the drive train, I'm going to start single speed, so need Surly Snuggnut. I may change to some older SRAM 10 speed in the future. I already have a Surly single rear cog and spacer kit.

Seatpost
Race Face Ride no dropper, keeping it simple.

Brakes
TRP Slate recently got Quadiems for my bike, like em, want to try other TRPs
2 TRP Rotors 180mm
Front brake adapter
Rear break adapter

Other Stuff
Do I need to buy headset spacers seperatly?
As far as saddle, pedals, stem, handlebars, grips, those are simple, some I'll reuse from what I have, others I'll buy.

Missing anything? Thanks for the help!

·
This place needs an enema
17,061 Posts
The rims you're considering are good. The hubs are crap.

Do you need studs on your tires for NH winter riding, or just wide rubber for float?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rims you're considering are good. The hubs are crap.
I was kind of expecting that. But I haven't found too many pre-built fat tire rims that aren't too expensive. $500 per rim is definitely too much, I'd prefer under 400.

Do you need studs on your tires for NH winter riding, or just wide rubber for float?
I can probably get away without studs. The plus size bike I rode a few times last winter had studs because I was expecting conditions to be firm but they felt unnecessary. I'm sure there will be some icy spots, but groomed trails tend to be more granular than sheer ice.

Do the drivetrain parts look good to you? The crank is my biggest concern, don't know what size it really is.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Is weight a concern? The Surly O.D. fat cranks I believe are on closeout at many distributors. You don't get the direct mount interface, but you do get the 2 different BCD's, so you can run as small a chainring as you want. I'm at the moment using a 26/30T combo on the front of my pugsley. Basic inner 26T ring on the 58bcd, and the Wolftooth 30T on the 94bcd spot. You would use the pugsley od crank for the wednesday frame.

·
This place needs an enema
17,061 Posts
I was kind of expecting that. But I haven't found too many pre-built fat tire rims that aren't too expensive. $500 per rim is definitely too much, I'd prefer under 400.

I can probably get away without studs. The plus size bike I rode a few times last winter had studs because I was expecting conditions to be firm but they felt unnecessary. I'm sure there will be some icy spots, but groomed trails tend to be more granular than sheer ice.
Click the red link in my signature. I can build you something custom with that budget.

·
Stubby-legged
1,405 Posts
Mike's wheels and Ednas will handle almost every situation you will find in New England.
Pugs, Wednesdays, and Moonlanders are a perfect way to get around in the winter.
I bought studded tires last year (after over ten years without them....) and should have saved my money for something else (hookers and beer?).

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
Yep. Other Brother Darryls and Ednas. Use Raceface Cinch cranks. They make them specifically for 170mm bikes.
Use a Shimano bb. The Raceface ones are not as good.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
As far as studded tires in NH/ New England....
It depends on where you ride and how often.
I live on the Ma/Nh border....and ride just about every day.
Last winter....I was glad to have studs half the time....and necessary about 20% of the time.
The winter before was a lot icier....
As far as studs....the Terrene studs were the best all arounders

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm just over the border from you in Maine. Every ride can be different, from deep soft powder to porcelain "death ice". We had two weeks of the latter this past winter, and the Dillinger 5s weren't cutting it. I put a set of Wrathchilds with XL studs on my Wednesday. Much better. Those will work for pretty much anything around here except deep fresh powder. Which you should stay off until the trails set up, for groomed trails at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did the build go? I'm about to receive my Wednesday frame and wonder if everything worked as expected for you. This is going to be my first build as well, but it will take a while since I'm out of funds for now.

Everybody I mention I'm getting a fat bike here in NC asks: "are you moving north?" "What are you gonna do with it here in NC?" - Well, I just want to have fun with it...

I hope you are enjoying your Wednesday!

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
How did the build go? I'm about to receive my Wednesday frame and wonder if everything worked as expected for you. This is going to be my first build as well, but it will take a while since I'm out of funds for now.

Everybody I mention I'm getting a fat bike here in NC asks: "are you moving north?" "What are you gonna do with it here in NC?" - Well, I just want to have fun with it...

I hope you are enjoying your Wednesday!
My friend from here in NY moved to Greensboro NC a few years ago and brought his 5" tire 9Zero7 with him. He blows everyone's minds with it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pretty well overall. The crown race needed A LOT more force than I was expecting to install it. It's ridiculous how many times and how hard I hit it. I did use a home made tool out of a PVC pipe to install it. Second problem was I ordered cranks that had the wrong spindle diameter. What I got was 24mm, BB needed 30mm, so I had to exchange that one. Other than that no hiccups.

Enjoying the bike too. Feels pretty playful, even with massive tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.