Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
www.badgercycles.com
Joined
·
309 Posts
Ha!

Water just flew out of my nose! Thats funny! Ask Steve for an open MRI. Its cheaper and faster than the full blown space ship version. I want the old fork for the shop wall of shame.
 

·
Who turned out the lights
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fractured right side clavicle, but other than that, all is well. I type like s$%t with a gimp hand, but I'm learning.

Lost my front wheel at speed on a downhill...

Finally figured out what happened. I use WTB skewers (not for long). The little 'nut' with the concave part that mates to the QR lever rotates very easily on these QR's. I put the wheel on and wrenched it down and figured all was good. I should have looked closer, b/c the 'nut' was likely turned 90deg, and when I got rolling on bouncy singletrack, it slipped back into the correct position, dropping the tesion on the skewer. With no lawyer tabs and +/-20mph, I didn't quite get to the brake lever before the wheel dropped out and turned 90deg on me, launching me into a tree. The brake rotor has a .25" wobble, but my 'weak and flexy' 29" wheel is still perfectly true.

Luckily, I had some good friends around that drove me to the hospital and then home the next day.
 

·
Who turned out the lights
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
robpennell said:
Water just flew out of my nose! Thats funny! Ask Steve for an open MRI. Its cheaper and faster than the full blown space ship version. I want the old fork for the shop wall of shame.
I've got a 9am with Steve tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be in this damn sling for the rest of my life.

Have you gotten ahold of Paul yet? I think I need a new fork...
 

·
I like bikes
Joined
·
480 Posts
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Francis said:
Fractured right side clavicle, but other than that, all is well. I type like s$%t with a gimp hand, but I'm learning.

Lost my front wheel at speed on a downhill...

Finally figured out what happened. I use WTB skewers (not for long). The little 'nut' with the concave part that mates to the QR lever rotates very easily on these QR's. I put the wheel on and wrenched it down and figured all was good. I should have looked closer, b/c the 'nut' was likely turned 90deg, and when I got rolling on bouncy singletrack, it slipped back into the correct position, dropping the tesion on the skewer. With no lawyer tabs and +/-20mph, I didn't quite get to the brake lever before the wheel dropped out and turned 90deg on me, launching me into a tree. The brake rotor has a .25" wobble, but my 'weak and flexy' 29" wheel is still perfectly true.

Luckily, I had some good friends around that drove me to the hospital and then home the next day.
Sorry!!!! :( I have seen that happen to a friend of mine. I now use bolt on axles.

Good luck!
 

·
www.badgercycles.com
Joined
·
309 Posts
I talked to Paul

and told him to go ahead and make one for you. What is up with the duct tape? If you dont get that crap off the stem I'm going to punch you in your broken clavicle! Paul asked that you email him the color.
 

·
being is
Joined
·
286 Posts
Hey, got a q for you

Not related to the fork/wheel/clavical: How well does your chainwheel line up w/ your freewheel? I'm thinking about running those cranks but don't know it the chainline will work out w/ a surely 1x1 in the back. Thnks!

PS sorry about the unfortunate incident. Heal up soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/

In a nutshell, disc brake calipers mounted behind and only slightly above the front axle create a downward reaction force at the axle. Loosen your skewer and hit your brake - the wheel is ejected. The scary part is that discs also torque your fork blades unevenly, rotating one relative to the other. Because screws loosen with less force than they tighten, these slight rotations can loosen your skewer over time. If you have a QR and disk brake, check it frequently.

Kelly is the only manufacturer that takes this problem seriously enough to implement the _very_ simple solution - forward facing fork dropouts.

Edited to say sorry to hear about your injury. Equipment failures make for hard crashes.
 

·
Who turned out the lights
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SpinWheelz said:
What is this, the NASCAR fork? Old school technology and material, only makes left turns.
NASCAR fork, I like that. I think I'll steal that for a bit. :)

I had ridden a short 4-mile ride the afternoon before, and the wheel was put on right before that, so the skewer didn't have time to loosen on its own. I'm pretty sure that the 'nut' rotated, as it has happened before, but I saw it the other times. I will be switching out to a different brand of QR's. Not that I am blaming WTB, because I should have looked harder, but I'm definitely not hip to a QR that can randomly do that. I've never had that happen with other brand QR's in 20 years of using them.

My dropouts do have a bit of a cant toward the forward (like the Kelly's), but I didn't even get a chance to get a lever squeezed. Kind of a "What the.....wham!" situation.
 

·
Who turned out the lights
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pseudo intellectual said:
Not related to the fork/wheel/clavical: How well does your chainwheel line up w/ your freewheel? I'm thinking about running those cranks but don't know it the chainline will work out w/ a surely 1x1 in the back. Thnks!

PS sorry about the unfortunate incident. Heal up soon!
I lines up fine for me, but I use a cassette hub with spacers, so I can move the cog for ideal alignment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Francis said:
NASCAR fork, I like that. I think I'll steal that for a bit. :)

I had ridden a short 4-mile ride the afternoon before, and the wheel was put on right before that, so the skewer didn't have time to loosen on its own. I'm pretty sure that the 'nut' rotated, as it has happened before, but I saw it the other times. I will be switching out to a different brand of QR's. Not that I am blaming WTB, because I should have looked harder, but I'm definitely not hip to a QR that can randomly do that. I've never had that happen with other brand QR's in 20 years of using them.

My dropouts do have a bit of a cant toward the forward (like the Kelly's), but I didn't even get a chance to get a lever squeezed. Kind of a "What the.....wham!" situation.
Don't blame yourself too much - it sounds like a lousy design. You knew what to look for but missed it and got hurt. Anyone with less experience wouldn't have a chance to see the problem.
 

·
Who turned out the lights
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slim_pickens said:
Don't blame yourself too much - it sounds like a lousy design. You knew what to look for but missed it and got hurt. Anyone with less experience wouldn't have a chance to see the problem.
I thought about emailing WTB, but didn't want it to look like I was 'blaming' them. I do think it's a bit of a cheap design, especially for nice hubs. I've just never experienced that before with Shimano, Campy, or even Performance brand skewers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Francis said:
I thought about emailing WTB, but didn't want it to look like I was 'blaming' them. I do think it's a bit of a cheap design, especially for nice hubs. I've just never experienced that before with Shimano, Campy, or even Performance brand skewers.
You should give them feedback so they can correct their design - you'll be doing them and your fellow cyclists a favor. If they're responsible designers, they'll look into it.
 

·
bike geek
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
Francis said:
Only slightly used. It has a custom rake that may not work for everyone...
Looks just like my Hunter fork after my wheel fell out under disc brake torque. Rear facing dropouts, no lawyer tabs, Salsa skewers (same design as the WTB it sounds like).

Glad you're ok. I still have 2 scars on my face from where it met dirt.
 

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
In the time that you took to type that reply, I went ahead and trademarked NASCAR fork©. I see that you mentioned it in your reply. Please remit $200 via Paypal for this first occurance of usage. Any subsequent use of the term NASCAR fork© will cost an amply reasonble $100 per mention. Please remit payment immedialty.

Thank you.
 

·
Who turned out the lights
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oddly enough, they are Hunter dropouts.

tamjam said:
Looks just like my Hunter fork after my wheel fell out under disc brake torque. Rear facing dropouts, no lawyer tabs, Salsa skewers (same design as the WTB it sounds like).

Glad you're ok. I still have 2 scars on my face from where it met dirt.
 

·
A hopped on pop.
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
Francis said:
Oddly enough, they are Hunter dropouts.
after reading your first post, i remember that this happened to tamjam (damn, those pics were aweful!!).

hope you heal quickly and get back to riding soon.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top