Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
willie b said:
I like it. Belts should be good enough for bicycles. HD has been suing them for years...
you're right.. and these are the exact same size and strength belts HD uses... no wait, they're not...
But you know, HD's are used offroad and subjected to dirt, sticks and rocks and the various types of standard trail damage... on no wait they're not!!

IMO: Great idea, bad application.
But anyone willing to plunk down 4000$ for a bike like that isn't doing it because it's a logical purchase.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There were several of these belt drive bikes at Interbike this year. I talked with the rep from Gates who makes the belts and the concept seems kind of cool. The belts are one-piece which is cool. However I was dismayed to learn that the belt life isn't projected to be that long, the cost of the belt is significantly more than a chain, but the thing that really turned me off was that you have to actually cut your drive side drop-out in half so as to replace the belt. There was a bike with a removable drop-out shown but the majority of the show bikes have that drop sliced in half.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talking to the people at Spot and Gates the belt life is significantly longer than a chain.

The drive side drop out has a cut in it. The old design had an actual section removed. If you look at my bike you would not be able to notice the cut, on the back of the dropout there is a plate that holds it together. I don't feel that the dropout has been compromised with this design. I currently have about 300 miles on this bike with no problems what so every.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Gates rep told me 6-8,000 miles so yeah that is a longer life than a chain plus it is lighter than a chain. I like the fact that you don't need to lube the belt either and supposedly it will crush small rocks that go between the "chainring" and the belt. Will be interesting to see how the belts hold up vs. a chain.

I for one would not be willing to ride a bike with a sliced dropout.

Time will tell if this is just a passing fancy but hats off to you for taking the plunge!

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,171 Posts
The belt will not stretch with a human pedaling the bicycle.

As long as the tension & alignment is dead on, the belt stays on perfectly; super easy to do.

The belt has been compromised before it broke; some knuckle head using it as a strap wrench, the alignment was not dead on, the tension was too loose.

The Steel frame'd sliced dropout is quite different if you have never taken one apart. The inside plate is 2 dimensional; it has 2 horizontal 'keys' in the plate that mate with 2 slots in the dropout. That keeps the dropout from opening; very cool & simple.

·
Registered
61 Posts
too few gearing options

Beautiful bike. I rode a belt all summer, just sold the bike. The belt system has one fatal flaw for me: no flexibility in gear choices. I wanted to use the bike as a bike path commuter, but was unable to get alternate gears. Supposedly available, but I wasn't able to get anything in 6 months of trying. So I hope you like the gearing!

If you do like the gearing, the quiet clean of the belt is fabulous. Have fun. Now go get that thing dirty!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Timo said:
Nice bike...first time I've seen the new RF cransket. Like the color....but you need some King Cages. ;-)
I like that they have a cap on the end of the crank arm to protect during pedal strikes.
Wonder if they come in 180s.....

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
sweet I just got my spot belt driven about a month ago. Luckily the gearing is spot on. Jealous of the custom paint though.

as for the belt. so far so good. Quiet, no maintenance, positive engagement. If I had a CK rear hub it would be amazing.

Also saw on the local news that trek will be offering the gates system this year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.