Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rush is 90% finished but I will have to put it on the back burner for about a month. I don't have a digital camera but borrowed one to take a picture of my CatEye mount. More pictures to follow. I wanted to get some information out since I have a few friends building Rushes. Really wanted to show the completed Rush but I'll have to do it as time permits.:(

Magnets: Two magnets give twice the computer screen updates; every 1/2 revolution instead of every revolution. If you run a 29er using two magnets probably yields an even bigger improvement. I've always ran two magnets and it works great. Cut the length you enter in the CatEye or other cyclocomputer in half. So 26 x 2.10 tires would be 2068/2 magnets = 1034. The magnets I am using are powerful enough. I wanted to go with the smallest magnets since I am putting them on a rotor. If I moved the sensor ¼ " further away I would have to stack two magnets or go with the next bigger magnet size.

Mount: Notice the gap on the mount. I had a chair leg that was with the sand paper wrapped around it was slightly smaller that the diameter of the lefty. I carefully sanded the CatEye mount using an up and down motion. Don't go crazy sanding and rough up the middle surface on the mount since this is where we will apply the silicone. All I wanted was to SLIGHTLY reshape the mount. There is a lot of material to work with but for a slightly flexible mount I wanted the gap in the middle. I used Flexible Permatex Black Silicone adhesive sealant (16B) from AutoZone. I just applied a very small strip just in the gap. Dries fast (24 hours). Make sure the lefty is horizontal till the silisone drys in 24 hours. Also I removed the mount a few times and could clean the silicone off with a little work so it isn't permanent. Just beware of the silk-screened lettering which will come off if you are not careful. I've worked with silicone for mounting before and it works very well. It will not come off without about some force. Remember not to use too much silicone and have clean surfaces. I used some masking tape but was again careful of the silk screen lettering.

Placement: Placement on the fork is tricky. Too low and you'll get ghost pluses, too high and the magnet will be too close to the contact area of the rotor. I like the placement I have the best.

I wanted to do a great write-up on this and a few other things on the bike but my time is very limited. I can provide more details if people are interested. Use at your own caution.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ooohhh, you lucky [email protected]!!! :D

I so want a Lefty SL like that! I'm very interested to see how you built yours. I haven't done much myself, mostly because of budgetary reasons. I am planning to get an XT M-760 crankset first, then the derailleurs and bars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have just finnished my custom rush. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Here is the spec. -
Rush 2000 mocha brown frame
Lefty Speed Carbon
2007 Hope Mini Mono with floating saw disks
717 rims, Hope rear hub, Cannondale Lefty Hub
Hope Stem
Thompson Elite Seat Post
WTB Rocket V Stealth Saddle
XTR rapid fire shifters
XTR Rear mech
XT front mech
XT Hollowtech Cranks
HG 93 chain
EA70 handle bars

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mine will likely be this but may change:

Rush 3000 BTC frame (have)
RP23 rear shock (have)
Lefty Speed Carbon SL
Magura Marta SL
Either Crossmax SLR or I9 blue wheels
XC3 Si stem
Thompson Elite Seat Post
WTB Rocket V Stealth Saddle
XTR rapid fire shifters
XTR or X.0 Rear Derailleur
XTR Front Derailleur
XT M760 Cranks
XTR rear cassette
EC90 Monkeylite handlebars
Kenda Klimax UST tires

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.