Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
Very nice!

I really like the colors. Different from what I've been seeing lately.

I'm curious about all the blingy, beautiful custom paint/PC/anno jobs as of late:
How much does the time, $$ and effort put into custom colors effect one's willingness to actually ride the bike as intended, off road, in the dirt, rocks and mud??
The harder you ride it, the faster it's gonna get scratched....

...there's something to be said for a low-maintainence 'paint' job that you don't have to worry about...

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
xjbebop said:
I really like the colors. Different from what I've been seeing lately.

I'm curious about all the blingy, beautiful custom paint/PC/anno jobs as of late:
How much does the time, $$ and effort put into custom colors effect one's willingness to actually ride the bike as intended, off road, in the dirt, rocks and mud??
The harder you ride it, the faster it's gonna get scratched....

...there's something to be said for a low-maintainence 'paint' job that you don't have to worry about...
(Flame suit on)

The stock paint job on my RFX was.... not very good at all. It was soft and gummy- you could press into it with your fingernail and leave an impression. It basically looked like electrical tape. So I rode it for the two years with stock paint, and really my decision to paint it was based on my plan to keep this frame for a long time, cause otherwise it's awesome!

I also had my frame wet-painted by Harald at Toxik Design Labs. IMHO high-quality wet paint looks better and is way more durable than cheap powdercoat. My paint job, which is "solar gold" cost me $150usd- (+shipping)- and Harold painted with my steelset headset cups in the frame! As you can see, he's very careful about masking off the pivots and does great work. Do I think about it when I'm riding? absolutely not- not on the trails I use this bike for! Really nothing but whistler, northshore, BC and Wa. FR trails for this bike anymore.

Great looking bikes Telebiker and Dagprimo! Can't wait to see built up pics!

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
late last year, dt offered me up a slightly used '02 rfx front tri with more updated bits on the back. after convincin me this was the way to go, i convinced him the last thing i needed was a 3rd polished turner so i chose, with his help, a painter and a off the beaten path blue pc color. and so it seems started a bit of a recent revolution. it was totally worth the time and cash.

i dont worry about scratches, dents, gouges, scuffs or otherwise these days, not that there wasnt a time where i did but those days are long behind me now. i consider them badges of rememberence and individual storys to talk about. i say go for it!

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Sweet Spots!

Man I really like how the detail on the welds came out. Looks Superb. That's one good thing about wet paint, it's not so thick that it hides the metalwork.

This thread is as good a place as any to compile cusotm painter info :D
I went with Maas Brothers in Cali when I got my RFX powdercoated Moondust "Lime over Gloss Black" They did it for $150 including shipping. They estimated 7-10 day turnaround and were right on the money. Very helpful people excellent handling and results.:thumbsup:

Believe it or not, I don't concern myself with scratching my bike while riding. IMO It's part of the game. The only thing that bothers me is cable/pad rub, because it's totally preventable. When I go down, I usually worry about breaking a component.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I saw those..

When I was at Toxic picking up my fork! I got Harald to paint an old fork for me for a new build (sorry not Turner). I do believe he even used some of the left over blue from my fork to start the color for one of those bikes? Whoever had the black spot with the chili on the headtube. Anyhoo, looks great and would definitely reccommend Harald for any paint work. I will be taking my Burner or my gf's XCE there should they need a fresh coat! :thumbsup:

Buzz

MCM#45

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
ya know cheese, ive always really dug the looks of that since day 1. i was quite tempted to "borrow" that look but decided it was in poor form for me to do so. how much cooler would that look if you were able to fill it in between the letterin?! real friggin cool i say. the new rfx logo is a nice touch. yers is quite possibly my fave scheme on this site. style and class.

·
Registered
112 Posts
gona have mine sprayed in the not too distant future, its a 04 ano blue and ive fell out with the colour latley, plus the paints wearing of my chainstays. i'd like a black frame with a silver rear but it just seems a waste, tell me if i'm being boring???

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new mylar downtube stickers rock!

Thanks all for the comments. Yeah Buzz, that was my frame. Thanks FM for the lead to Toxik Design Lab. More pix to come wen the bike is trail ready.

BTW, the new mylar downtube stickers are super easy to apply. Done in a couple of minutes. Hee's a pic, sorry for the glare

Attachments

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
telebiker said:
Thanks all for the comments. Yeah Buzz, that was my frame. Thanks FM for the lead to Toxik Design Lab. More pix to come wen the bike is trail ready.

BTW, the new mylar downtube stickers are super easy to apply. Done in a couple of minutes. Hee's a pic, sorry for the glare
Where did you get the stickers? Looks great.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
938 Posts
a couple pictures before I switch over some parts from another bike.

Bit of a mix of parts--> RFX 5" plates and my old RFX rear on 05' 5-spot.
Not sure if I can really call my bike a 5-spot...............;)
Just have to get the Vanilla RC Pushed yet.
Look forward to getting that first ride in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.