Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with a Kona warranty and an aftermarket paint job? My new process frame should be in very soon and I'd really like to get it painted before I build it up but I'm concerned about voiding the warranty. I know some companies, like specialized, won't honor a warranty if the paint has been stripped or changed. My LBS contacted Kona but no answer yet...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I read through the warranty that came with my frame and there's no specific mention of changing the paint. It did say something like if the damage is the result of modification to the frame, the warranty is void. That was the closest clause I could find. I have the process 111 too and I'm with you, gotta change the paint.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This might also depend on who does your paint/powdercoat. For example, there is a paint/powdercoat shop in Portland that is the sole authorized location in the US to repaint Specialized frames. Having a reputable place do the work would likely be a factor for warranty support.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get my frame (when it shows up) powdercoated. I'm still debating on color and whether to get the rear triangle painted or just leave it black. My original plan was to leave the frame alone and transfer all of my parts from my hardtail over and not really upgrade anything. Now that it's taken longer than I thought for the frame to show up my mind has been running with build ideas. I'm not considering upgrading almost everything right from the start.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm taking mine to the powdercoater today. I was expecting to like the finish of the front triangle after soda blasting it but it comes out looking like bright silver spray paint. I'm going to look at some samples but it's between satin gunmetal, bronze, or some kind of deep blue. I will probably leave the rear triangle as is b/c I'd imagine it'd be a lot more complicated and expensive to do.

I already have the front and rear triangles completely broken down with the bearings removed. I'm hoping to have it done by the weekend and I'll post up my results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts