Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a frameset, and i laced up the wheels last night.

Rolling Darryls & DT Swiss Revolution Spokes, to the standard Surly/Salsa hub combo. Went with the darryls for a combo of the +2mm, Welded Seam, and weight. Used DT Revos because i felt like spending money to save 1/4 pound on a really heavy bike.:D

Most the parts got ripped off my Gunnar Rockhound to build this.

I'm going up to get more of it together today, so i'll post more picks after that.
The only thing i may/may not need to wait for is longer Hydro hoses, well see if they reach or not.

Attachments

·
one sick puppy
356 Posts
Very sweet Chad. I'm the guy who bought the 19" Mukluk from your shop before Christmas. I was out today and I'm loving my new snowbike. Quit jazzing around and get that thing put together and out in the snow where it belongs.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I've got a very similar set getting built up too. So far, no issues. RD certainly seems like a nice rim thus far.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done.
I had to route the Rear Hose along the TT, because i was to lazy to buy/install new hydro hoses, and i need a new front ring(worn), but it fits great. I got a 17" as i wanted a short TT, and it feels good with a 100mm stem.
I have the heavy standard Fat Tubes in there, and will be lossing alot of weight after i do that, but it is at 32lb right now.

Attachments

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
Nice build! Sure is a clean looking bike. My wheels should be done tomorrow. Can't wait to build it up.

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
I might have to ditch my GFS rims... I just got a job at a shop that has a good history with Surly :)

How did they build up? Easy?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Borgschulze said:
I might have to ditch my GFS rims... I just got a job at a shop that has a good history with Surly :)

How did they build up? Easy?
Cool what shop? Surly is a bunch of cool guys.

They built up fine, i didn't tension them too tight, out of habit from building so many Stan's rims in the past, i'll probally take them up a bit in tension after the first ride/settle. The wierdest thing was all the extra holes, like at first doing every 5th hole, but it was all easy.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Man, that build looks good. I love the look of the Enabler in the second picture.

Are you sure you can make it through winter with no granny?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
That's looking pretty fine! I just finished up my build late last night. Similar look to yours, only I have a 19"er frame size.

Happy Trails! Now if it wasn't -20F this morning.......

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
CLONG said:
Man, that build looks good. I love the look of the Enabler in the second picture.

Are you sure you can make it through winter with no granny?
I have no issue using only a single 33t ring up front.

Not a whole lot of climbing on my rides... but I often spin out on the way home on the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts