Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stupid is, as stupid does
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am not sure if anyone else has come up with this idea. I couldn't find a thread on it. Anyway I like my bike set-up to look clean and the thought of all those extra zip-ties across the TT made my stomach feel queezy. I couldn't deal with it so I came up with this solution. I use the bike as my sometime XC machine and my primarily as my ski-hill downhill bike.
I purchased new cable housing which was the length of the standard Joplin housing + another half a length & used a regular derailleur cable. My frame size is an XL. I cut the housing long enough to fit my XC riding seatpost height. I routed the housing underneath the downtube where the brakeline and rear derailleur housings are mounted and ziptied them all together. I used the stock zip-tie holes and just grouped all three housings in one zip-tie This 1st pic shows the seatpost at my ski hill height. Where I came up with all the final zip-ties placements I found this works the best after a lot of experimentation. It seems to rub the frame the least amount in these spots. I also got creative with 3M tape in any spot where the housing could rub with the Joplin in the lowered position. Also I put 3M tape underneath any of the zip ties. Before anyone feels obligated about how Darwin would be amazed at the length of the steer tube being to high. It was cut today.

Attachments

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One mre pic

One more pic: This one shows the seatpost in at my XC height & the routing from the remote on the handlebar.

Attachments

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Nice BMW wagon. Those are far and few in between these days. Dont get rid of it as they are no longer bringing them to the states in the next year or so.

Oh yea...sweet 575 too.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Clean, a lot cleaner looking then some others I've seen.

When I buy a Reverb (once it comes out), I'm just going to buy some jagwire stick on cable guides and run the hose along the top tube

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow, a lot of zip-tie'ing...
I'm wondering where the cable goes if the saddle is lowered.
Looks like the cable is attached to the top so it has to go somewhere...

Cheers,
Egika

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Egika said:
wow, a lot of zip-tie'ing...
I'm wondering where the cable goes if the saddle is lowered.
Looks like the cable is attached to the top so it has to go somewhere...

Cheers,
Egika

Look at the first pic. The seatpost is in the low position with the Joplin lowered. The housing just goes down and with the zip-ties it moves towards the rear triangle/tire but is contained within the space that I routed it. I haven't buzzed it with the rear tire and I don't think I will.

To the member that asked how the Joplin performed. I will never be able to ride a bike without one. I originally got one for my 29er I was running a lot of post. I was such a game changer the Yeti got one soon after. I got both of them on Chainlove for about 63% off. Even on the slightest of xc singletrack when it points down i lower the seat a little and it's a huge difference. For catching air it's a whole new world. I have long legs and have always ran a lot of post. It's now so easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts