Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since we mentioned this in another thread.....

I just dug up my custom Conrad Oho Design (otherwise known as the Birkenstock guy :) ) freewheel. Back then, it was one of ways to get a true wide ratio freewheel 11-30 (or 32?) especially the elusive 11t. As Shimano cassettes were 13t. This particular sample is an 11-27 as I was about 50lbs lighter back then and was more concerned about the 48-11 tooth combo :) I think I also got several other interchangeable cog options to get this freewheel to a 30T or 32T combo, I just cant find them.

These modified freewheels were truly hand built. Each tooth was "ramped" and chamfered by hand. Also spacing was altered for XT SIS shifter compatibility as these were built on Suntour Winner (or pro) bodies. See pictures.....

FB also mentioned a seven speed configuration. I'm not sure that was an option when I bought this freewheel but may have come later.

Attachments

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
ah yes, the good old days of fearing the customer with a gear chart...

not even sure where my freewheel vice is anymore, got a pile of cores somewhere...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
crconsulting said:
I just dug up my custom Conrad Oho Design ...

These modified freewheels were truly hand built. Each tooth was "ramped" and chamfered by hand. Also spacing was altered for XT SIS shifter compatibility as these were built on Suntour Winner (or pro) bodies. See pictures.....
That's a lot of work and an great example of what folks did to make "what was available" work as well as possible. It was an art form to get bikes dialed in back in the day. Today's parts could be bolted on by a monkey and work pretty darn good. Thanks for sharing those images, CRC! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.