Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a custome steel frame or a really nice custom wheel set with Chris King Hubs.

My current bike is a 2006 Paragon that after riding this summer and fall I just switched a lot of parts over from another bike.

Upgrades/ Changes include:

XT Crankset
XT Rear Derailleur (nothing wrong with the SRAM just preference)
XT Trigger Shifters (again nothing wrong with the X9 SRAM just preference)
Thompson Stem
Easton Carbon Riser Bar

New seat and Thonpson Post coming.

I really have the bike the way I want it and the only thing left to play with is a nice custom wheel set. I don't want to spring for both a custom frame and the wheelset so I need to choose just one. (On a side note I have one of the frames with a little tire rub so I have a brand new Paragon frame coming this winter under warranty)

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
Bike lust..

I have an '05 Paragon that I love to ride. The new Fishers are a much more compliant ride than the first generation frames and the handling is more what I like too. I sometimes lust after a new custom "Just for ME" bike, too. The bike fits me so well that I just can't justify the expense of a new custom. I'm planning on doin' some DT or CKing hubs with mustangs. One nice thing about your frame is you will get a brand new shiny one after you have ridden the crap out of the one you have.

32 spoke wheels will change the way the bike rides too. I have ridden the pi$$ out of an old Bonty Race wheelset with 28 spokes on 3 different bikes and never had a problem, but I do like 32 spoke wheels a little better.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
what are your existing wheels??
i have great luck with 36 spoke rears and 32 spoke fronts. it depends on your riding.
does the fisher frame fit you well??
that would be the biggest pro to getting a custom made frame.(correct size & geometry)
a con would be replacing the fisher with the same sized frame (geometry included) and putting the same wheels you have on the new bike. that is going out on a limb and thinking that your current wheels are not that great (since you are trying to replace them)
i guess i would consider the pros of a new frame, thinking you will not have enough $ to put many new goodies on it. and the fact you have a new one coming under warranty. i would only replace it if there was a very good reason,,, ie, fit/size. if it fits you well and you like it... well i guess i'd be getting some nice wheels. :D
good luck

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback

To answer your question I think the frame fits me great and I do like the way the bike feels. I have Bontrager Race wheels on it which are stock on this bike. I think I could drop some rotational weight going with some CK's with Salsa hoops. I was thinking 32 spoke.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
For such bling wheels, if you do it, at least go for a 36h rear. It's worth it, and may even allow you to try a thinner spoke. Spending big cash on bling wheels is a waste if the rear comes in a bit more flexy than you'd hoped.
If you don't have anything against the Fisher (why would you), you can wait another year for a custom frame, ride more different bikes, form your opinion.

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
hoops

Ranger Pride said:
To answer your question I think the frame fits me great and I do like the way the bike feels. I have Bontrager Race wheels on it which are stock on this bike. I think I could drop some rotational weight going with some CK's with Salsa hoops. I was thinking 32 spoke.
If you are not going to go 36 spokes, the Bonty Mustangs are lighter than the Salsa rims. I have both and my Bonty rims weighed 458g and 461g. My Delgados were both around 495 and 497 I think. Both are 32 hole and stiff with 14/15 DT Competition spokes. Idon't want to hijack your thread here, but if there are wheels out there that are much stiffer and still 1800g or less, I would love to learn more. I want some bling wheels for next season. I already have the Bonty Mustang Disc Spec. hoops but I guess i would change if need be.

Cloxkki may have a point with the 36 hole rear. I have never tried that but would like to.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No real preference on spoke count.

I don't have a big preference between 32 spoke and 36. I am interested in opinions here. I

I do love the Paragon frame. It certainly isn't need that made me start looking at custom. I have seen a few custom frames that I love the looks of and hear a lot of great things about steel frames.

At this point I am leaning toward the new wheels.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
I don't have a big preference between 32 spoke and 36. I am interested in opinions here. I

I do love the Paragon frame. It certainly isn't need that made me start looking at custom. I have seen a few custom frames that I love the looks of and hear a lot of great things about steel frames.

At this point I am leaning toward the new wheels.
Now these rims weigh more, but I really like the DT Swiss TK 7.1's build those up with some 32 h Kings or DT 240's hubs and some DT super comp spokes and you are set. JMO

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
No big air here...

Cloxxki said:
Big29, you've got the lightest Delgado's and Mustangs I've heard of. That, or you sit on a low gravity location... If you jump, how high do you fly?
I get nervous when my wheels lose contact with the dirt! These weights were on a scale used to fill CO2 tanks for paintball. I'm excited if these are THE lightest of these hoops. Maybe they would fetch BIG money on Ebay HA HA!! :D

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Stick with the frame go for the wheels

Ranger Pride said:
"I think I could drop some rotational weight going with some CK's with Salsa hoops"

Sounds nice to me or go for the best hubs (Hadley) and save some $$

If you want a "custom look" get the frame powder coated the color of your choice :)

Glad to hear you like your current ride!

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
Hadley

DeeZee said:
Sounds nice to me or go for the best hubs (Hadley) and save some $$
Agreed. I have a Hadley rear hub and love it. Kings rock too. I won't make any ruling on what is "best" but I do know that both are rock solid. A lot of folks spend a lot of money on Kings just because everybody else does. I used to be that guy too, but the kind folks at mtbr have elightened me to some degree. I also got a really sweet deal on the Hadley. That paired with the the King/WhiteBros incompatibilty led me away from getting Kings, and i'm as happy as could be.

I opted for a Hope XC front hub. I couldn't find anyone with anything bad to say about them, and it was nice and cheap. I couldn't ask for anything more from a front hub. I think a lot of money gets wasted on matching front hubs, and for what?

$0.02. Take it or leave it.

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
info

Ranger Pride said:
Does anyone have pictures or information on the Hadley hubs? I am open to suggestions but I must admit I love the sound the CK's make.
The hadley's are plenty loud. Maybe not as loud as a king, but loud enough.

Here's mine: https://murraytribe.com/images/walt/hadley_salsa.jpg

There was a SS discussion on them recently:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=1341311

"Hadley rear hubs are designed and made in the USA with a fanatical attention to quality. They feature a CNC machined body with a hand polished finish and laser etched graphics supported by a pair of oversized and preload adjustable cartridge bearings. The cassette body is machined from 6AL/4V Titanium riding on a set of wide needle bearings and another cartridge bearing."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.