Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes,
I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers regarding my first fully custom frame and geometry. I want my frame to basically do it all, but that probably won't be realistic, there will be trade-offs here and there. I am thinking of asking for geometry somewhere in between a SC chameleon (slack, FR, DJ) and a normal xc bike (steep, 71.5* HA 80mm fork.) I want to run a 100mm fork. I have not spoken with the potential frame builders yet, I figured I would get some info here first.

Also, I like the xc type geometry because I can pick good lines down the trail like a scalpel. On the other hand, I would not mind having a *slightly* more forgiving bike on the technical descents. My trails really vary from super rocky technical tight switchback type trails, all the way to fire roads and fast sections. I wonder what is considered a neutral geometry for a bike, you know, a do it all (except FR) bike.
Please share your thoughts with me dudes.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Try This

Take a good look at the angles on the Kona kula. It is set up for a 100mm fork. The geometry is very nice on that frame. It also has a reasonably high BB. I've got a Caldera(same frame#'s). I put a Talas fork on it. I tighten the angles up on the climbs and single track,and then I roll the fork out for the downhills. This has been a good do all multi-purpose type bike. If I do another custom geometry s/s I'll be using these numbers

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The info you've given is good, but it barely scratches the surface. A good builder is going to need to know much more in order to help you get to the geometry that works well for what you want. We don't know where you ride, how technical your trails really are, if you think low or high speed handling is more important (because it's all about compromise with frame design), how tall you are, your proportions, your weight, and how aggresssively you really ride.

I'd suggest the geometry that I used on my 5" hardtail, but I'm me, 6'tall with long legs, and I live here, not there... so while I'm happy with my bike for general technical riding, it may be all wrong for you.

Check out the custom builders. Interview them. See who goes out of their way to get your business. Find out how they ride and where. Choose the one that impresses you.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Shhhhh!

striker said:
DFL, sounds like you have some experience with custom frames. :D
Hey! I'm now located in your great state. I've been riding as much as my puny legs and shriveled lungs will allow and the trails here really are fantastic. I'm way impressed.

You need to let me know when you're headed out this way.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Arden, AKA south Asheville. I can't decide if I should live here and drive 4 days a week to pisgah or live in Brevard and drive 4 days a week to asheville to work. Boy, do I have it hard;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.