Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should probably post this in the "Custom Builders" forum, but I know a lot of you have had custom frames built. After riding my converted Specialized Stumpjumper I have decided to purchase an I.F. Deluxe. My question is, other than the basic answers in the fit form, is there anything else you wish you had told your frame builder about what you want? I would be interested in opinions/advice from anyone who has ordered a custom frame (not just from Independe Fabrication). Items I can think of off the top of my head include: tire clearance and cable placement. Any help would be appreciated.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Good Question

I speced 3 saddle type(zip-tie) cable holder @ the 6 o'clock position on my Top Tube. Also speced 2 more on the chain stay. I wanted the disc or v type option also, wished I left off the V's. I asked for big tire clearence. I also asked for a little higher BB for pedal clearence, and a longer Top Tube.

I wished I had asked for a chain hanger on the seat stay and left off the v's.

·
Registered
508 Posts
One little thing I did....

I like a more upright riding position, so I had the extend the head tube just a little bit. This way you don't have a ton of spacers showing.

JS

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Lots of flexibility with custom

Mine is an SS 29r EBB with disc only. I asked for a slightly long tope tube because I wanted to run an H-bar without a real long stem. I had the head tube a bit longer to achieve the bar height with out a big stack of spacers. I had it designed with ample clearance for a 2.5 tire (if one is ever made). I had it built strong for my oversized carcass. I have a derailleur hanger still on the frame, because I expect this frame to last me until I'm old enough to possibly need gears. I also requested as much standover as could be reasonably accomplished given all the other desires. Walt of Waltworks executed the design and build very well.

The only thing I might rethink is the use of cable stops, I almost went with the saddle type cable guides, but I knew I was going to use mechanical discs, so I went with the stops. I might also ask for the split at the top of the seat to be placed to the front so less gunk is thrown into it by the rear tire. I had heard that suggested in a thread similar to this, but forgot to ask if it really made sense.

I would suggest knowing exactly what fork you intend to use before having the frame designed. What bars will you use? What stem height and rise do you like? Do you like the bar at saddle height, or lower or higher?

If you have owned off the shelf bikes you probably picked the stem that made the bike fit, but with a custom you can select the optimal stem length for the type of riding you do and for your personal preference, and the bike can be designed to accomodate that.
Good luck, post a picture or five when you get it done.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The toughest thing with custom imho is figuring out fork issues. I like a low quick handling front end so modern day suspension forks don't really do it for me. I also think that the frames designed around forks with 100mm or more travel just look plain stupid.

If I were to design and build a frame right now it would be nearly identical to my medium buck shaver only with a slightly longer top tube and a slightly lighter tube set. I'd also change the cable routing a bit

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you intend to run with Disc's you'll need an eccentric bottom bracket shell (tandem style) to allow you to take up the chain tension.
I found that track drop out's did not hole the wheel fimly enough under braking even when tight enough to snap a QR Skewer - this would allow the rear wheel to twist badly during heavy braking
cheers Jacobite

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.