Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanted a suspension fork that steers like a rigid fork. Production forks had downtube clearance issues. This fork is also lighter at just under 4lbs.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,422 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like a modified proflex/girvin...hows your noleen holding up?
No problems with the Noleen so far. I've considered an air shock, but not sure if that's an upgrade or downgrade. An air shock does shorten travel by 1/2" but is lighter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
No problems with the Noleen so far. I've considered an air shock, but not sure if that's an upgrade or downgrade. An air shock does shorten travel by 1/2" but is lighter.
Keep the Noleen (coil shock).

Not sure if it's due to the fork linkage design, but I wasn't happy when I tried an air shock on my old girvin/proflex.

Shock was a 8" Fox vanilla.
When you run low pressure for small bump sensitivity, you end up bottoming out too much...no bueno.

Looking forward to your finished product :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have always liked the look and function of this style fork. BMW K motorcycles also use a similar system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep the Noleen (coil shock).

Not sure if it's due to the fork linkage design, but I wasn't happy when I tried an air shock on my old girvin/proflex.

Shock was a 8" Fox vanilla.
When you run low pressure for small bump sensitivity, you end up bottoming out too much...no bueno.

Looking forward to your finished product :)
Good to know, I won't try an air shock. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, awesome. Sorry for bumping an old thread.

As a relative fatties newbie & a former Proflex rider I love what you've done with the forks. Any more updates on your progress?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I want to thank MaineLotus for the help he gave me on a conversion like this. I now have a fork like this on my fatbike hardtail and I can't think of a better fork for a hardtail fatbike. Tire sucks up the high frequency and the fork handles the bigger hits.

I do have a contact that does carbon for aerospace and I want to wrap my aluminum legs in carbon so the best of both worlds.

If you can find one of these forks pick it up and do this conversion you will not regret it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My fork is holding up great and I really enjoy it on the fat bike where long travel isn't needed (for me anyway). I'd like to try one for a 29er, but I single speed and I don't think a lockout is possible. Maybe with a different shock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My fork is holding up great and I really enjoy it on the fat bike where long travel isn't needed (for me anyway).
Nice, good to hear. I have 3 of these forks - one of each generation (one aluminum Girvin, one aluminum Noleen, and one carbon Noleen, the last one set up with a FOX air shock mounted upside-down for clearance), contemplating doing something with them to keep them relevant (since none are mounted on a bike anymore).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts