Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been in search of a new hardtail to add to my stable. Something that would be the perfect balance of capable and light that would get me uphill in a hurry but handle some rippin downhill runs. Had the man at Chromag weld me up a custom Stash (their new single speed - only frame) to get the job done. Actually most of the geo is stock, just had them spec a 15.5" seat tube on a medium frame for me. This gets the top-tube low and out of my way for rolling through dirt jumps and makes the long rides a bit more comfy with the [email protected] carbon post I'm running. I've got a couple of long rides in on this machine now with a few thousand feet of elevation gained and lost and couldn't be more stoked.

the details....

Clean and to the point, guides for the rear brake and nuthin else, 23.5 lbs -

150 mm fork, 68* HTA, 13.125 BB, 16.75" CS, this think was born to rip -

2.4 Nobby Nic2's tubeless on King/Arch/Revolution wheelset, 185 rotor up front. Part of the fun is picking lines that save the rims while not giving up an inch to the fully riders -

Hell yeah the bars are a full 30", bolted to a Chromag Ranger stem, butter smooth Acros ceramic headset -

Nobody makes saddles this cool, Ian is the man! Quite comfy mounted on the carbon post -

Green's a little washed out in this pic, but a good shot of the sweet detail in the dropouts, I'm fitting 2.4's even with the wheel slammed forward -

Notes:
- The point of this bike is well, fun, fun is always the #1 reason to ride, but #2 reason is to be faster on my DH rig. Riding single speed has made me stronger, smoother, faster.
- 30" bars make at least as big of a difference on this rig as they do on my DH bike, soo confidence inspiring.
- XX rotors w/ti bolts are a nice weight savings while keeping the full power CR's for long descents.
50mm stem for the win on the SS, makes cranking out of the saddle really comfy yet really helps for bombing the DH.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That's just plain beautiful...

The green Chromag saddle is awesome. I'm def going for one on my Evil Sovereign (1st build) after I get it together & come up for air from saving $ all year. 70mm Ranger stem too. Everything they make is killer.

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Very nice build! Very light too considering it's an AM bike that can take a lot of punishment! Makes me want to convert my beloved, 6" FS AM bike to an AM HT... :madman:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
ERR,
This is getting ridiculous.

How about a shot of the full stable.

You have a bunch of bad a$$ bikes.

Looking good!
TG

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, it's a fun ride and been quite a while coming.

Hardtails Are Better -
The BB height really works out for our local terrain. I leave the fork locked out on the way up can motor through rock gardens without a care for clipping a pedal. On the way down, I open the fork up and let it sag in a good 25% and that brings the BB down a bit, nice and corner shreddy. I'm also running fairly tall profile tires which add a bit to the BB height, but they help keep the rim damage to a minimum.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Err said:
Thanks guys, it's a fun ride and been quite a while coming.

Hardtails Are Better -
The BB height really works out for our local terrain. I leave the fork locked out on the way up can motor through rock gardens without a care for clipping a pedal. On the way down, I open the fork up and let it sag in a good 25% and that brings the BB down a bit, nice and corner shreddy. I'm also running fairly tall profile tires which add a bit to the BB height, but they help keep the rim damage to a minimum.
Eh, I've just gotten used to REALLY low stuff of late, and am finding that bikes with normal BB heights feel a little weird now. My DH bike is even a little lower than that unsagged.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
b-kul said:
makes me really want to trade my parker for a summer season.

If you are stuck on 1 bike, then I would be hesitant. I love my Chromag, and ride it more than my FS, but I dont know if I would have it as my only bike for long.

But they are a blast.

SICK build ERR. Can I have your garage code and about 10 minutes?:p

·
Registered
343 Posts
Beautiful Chromag. Do you know if the stash is very similar to the samurai just with horizontal drops? Or lighter like the sakura.

Couple little curiousities on your build...whose long @ss carbon post is that? Also when you say king/arch/revolution wheels...forgive me but can you decode, King hubs, ZTR arch rim?

Impressive weight.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JoshG said:
Beautiful Chromag. Do you know if the stash is very similar to the samurai just with horizontal drops? Or lighter like the sakura.

Couple little curiousities on your build...whose long @ss carbon post is that? Also when you say king/arch/revolution wheels...forgive me but can you decode, King hubs, ZTR arch rim?

Impressive weight.
the tubeset is similar to the Samurai's front triangle mated to a Sakura's rear triangle with horizontal dropouts. Confirm this with Chromag. Weight on mine is 4.5 lbs, which is 1/2 lb heavier than my stock Sakura.

Wheelset:
King Hubs, heavy duty rear w/fun bolts & Stainless freehub body
Stans Arch rims
DT Revolution Spokes, alloy nips
Built with lots of love and a few tricks by me
Stans yellow tape for running tubeless
Non-UST Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2 tires, 2.4, Snake Skin sidewalls

wheels came in at right around 1650g IIRC.

The carbon post is a Syntace P6, 410mm. The combination of the steel frame, 2.4 tires, long carbon post, and cush Lynx saddle makes for an extremely comfortable ride.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just stumbled into that thread again after years. Still an awesome bike to me. Is the beast still rolling or retired for not having 44mm headtube standard and such?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts