Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
keholio
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new ride for my wife. I would like to get a frame that is going to last . . . I prefer titanium however a good steel frame is a consideration.
So far my top choice is a Moots YBB.
What other custom frame builders should be considered?
Some considerations in making this decision . . .

• She is 5'6" not ideal for a 29er.
    We live in Colorado so does Moots, Buy localy.
    Her riding style is not well suited to a full suspension.
    The YBB helps with comfort on the longer rides.

Frame suggestions are welcome.

Regards

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
the curtlo epic mountaineer...

is an option. its a steel softail made of true temper ox platinum w/ ritchey stays designed for sftail use. you get a fillet brazed steel frame, custom geometry, and choice of paint for a little over $900 bucks. thats hard to beat. plus you can tell doug your wifes weight and riding style plus type of terrain you ride and he'll take all of that into consideration when building her bike. CURTLO.COM is the answer to your question.

·
Registered
460 Posts
edouble said:
is an option. its a steel softail made of true temper ox platinum w/ ritchey stays designed for sftail use. you get a fillet brazed steel frame, custom geometry, and choice of paint for a little over $900 bucks. thats hard to beat. plus you can tell doug your wifes weight and riding style plus type of terrain you ride and he'll take all of that into consideration when building her bike. CURTLO.COM is the answer to your question.
The Curlto is a good bike, but I would stay local if you can. You can take her down to the factory and have her sized up and talk to the builder.

Dan Mitchell

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Keholio said:
1.She is 5'6" not ideal for a 29er.
2.We live in Colorado so does Moots, Buy localy.
3.Her riding style is not well suited to a full suspension.
4.The YBB helps with comfort on the longer rides.
1. Not sure - did she try? My 5.5 friend seems to enjoy riding 29r quite a bit custom steel with sloping tube. Stable and smooth, thats what many women want, right? :)
2. yep
3. Does she jump up an down in the saddle all the time? :D Or not particularly smooth on pedals? I am just curious what style may be considered not suited for FS?
4. Indeed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Keholio said:
I am looking for a new ride for my wife. I would like to get a frame that is going to last . . . I prefer titanium however a good steel frame is a consideration.
So far my top choice is a Moots YBB.
What other custom frame builders should be considered?
Some considerations in making this decision . . .

• She is 5'6" not ideal for a 29er.
    We live in Colorado so does Moots, Buy localy.
    Her riding style is not well suited to a full suspension.
    The YBB helps with comfort on the longer rides.

Frame suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Since money is not a factor here, your only other choice will be the Seven Teres.
Anything less than the YBB and Seven Teres and you will be second guessing for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you're interested in spending money a Rocky Mountain Vertex TSc in a 16'' frame size would be a great choice. I'me 5'6'' and ride one and absolutely love it, quite possibly the best HT XC frame on the market. Its made from an Aluminum alloy that implies Scandium, it rides more similar to Steel rather than Titanium or even Aluminum in that it has some 'give' if you will, its not rigid but it does'nt sacrafice strength even though the frame weighs well under 3 pounds, mine is a 2001 and has seen very much use and abuse, they're made to last.
The Tomac Taos is another great bike, I believe its made from the same material as the TSc, its obviously a great choice and is probably easier for you to buy than an RM. I think there also made in Colorado as well. I've never actually ridden one, but anything by John Tomac is gonna be damn hell ass close to the best you're gonna get!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.