Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I hope to by summer have the money to custom build a Freeride/Downhill bike. Ill be looking at a frame which can be used for Alpine freeride, bikepark and UK Downhill, so something like a Gambler.

I was wondering if its possible to build a solid bike for bout 3400 by searching the internet for goood deals. I dont want anything stupid expensive like XO shitfers and industry nine wheels. Im planning on building it with a single crown fork just because of the versatility and the price over a triple crown. I intend to buy most of it new. Ill only buy used parts if ill still have the warranty and its in top condition.

So can it be done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
euro? or dollars?

either way its plenty enough. although to make that money go further id suggest get used parts where you can. but im sure you'll be able to find new parts, as long as you keep an eye out on deals.

i built up my DH race bike for about $3500. used frame and fork. it doesnt have the lightest parts in the world, but its still a nice build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
brillantesdv said:
euro? or dollars?

either way its plenty enough. although to make that money go further id suggest get used parts where you can. but im sure you'll be able to find new parts, as long as you keep an eye out on deals.
im pretty sure he's talking in GBP

but yeah should be be enough
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
bxxer rider said:
im pretty sure he's talking in GBP

but yeah should be be enough
3500GBP would be about 5300 American right now. If you can't build a nice bike for that, you're doing it wrong.

There's not a lot of really big hills in England is there? Maybe a 7" range bike may suit your regular riding more than a gambler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
Karupshun said:
3500GBP would be about 5300 American right now. If you can't build a nice bike for that, you're doing it wrong.

There's not a lot of really big hills in England is there? Maybe a 7" range bike may suit your regular riding more than a gambler.
erm there ARE a lot of big hills......if you go to the right county, here in Gloucestershire there are big hills, as goes the phrase "the rolling hills", wales is also a "hot spot" for UK DH and for a short summer D trip there is ofc fort William, it all depends on your local, if MaxBS's local is smooth and flowing then less travel would probably suite or if its like then more travel would be better, my the local is rough some big air and LOTS of roots i wish i did have a little bit more rear travel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
bxxer rider said:
erm there ARE a lot of big hills......if you go to the right county, here in Gloucestershire there are big hills, as goes the phrase "the rolling hills", wales is also a "hot spot" for UK DH and for a short summer D trip there is ofc fort William, it all depends on your local, if MaxBS's local is smooth and flowing then less travel would probably suite or if its like then more travel would be better, my the local is rough some big air and LOTS of roots i wish i did have a little bit more rear travel.
Let me rephrase that. You don't have mountains. You do have hills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I was meaning 3500 dollars, not quid. As for the biking in the uk, its very different to North America. Besides I live in Scotland, 2 hours from Fort Bill, and that track is rougher than pretty much everything, anywhere.
The bike would be used in the UK (plus fort bill), and especially for the Alps, which again is far rougher than places like Whistler. So the bike will get a proper thrashing. As for travel, ive ridden bikes from 6 to 9 inches in the alps, and coming from a hardtail, i liked the 6inch mini supreme because the most. I find it far more fun than 9 inches. I think it involves more skill, and i like getting alot of response from the back end (sounds wrong..i know ;) Then again the travel was very limited when there were big rock gardens. Ill probably be looking at about 180-200 mm rear travel.

Back to the main question. How hard will it be do build a bike for 3500 US. Probably a bairly used second hand frame, and then just search for parts from there.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
sorry but I am going to say it and don't get defensive about what I say

Save your money !!! It is an awful a lot....don't waste it on something you might not like...buy a good used bike for 800 to 1200.You can get something real good and then in a year buy the bike that YOU like

listening to other people's recommendations is good but they might have a different riding style then you....it's like you love the color blue and I tell you to buy the color red...there are both right but different opinions.....gain your experience by buying a used bike and form your own opinion.....BUY A USED BIKE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
If you just keep an eye on all of the hot deals in the online shops, you can build a great bike for $3500. Be a bit flexible on the spec and be patient. Watch the sales. Buy last years models. I built a Turner Highline with all new parts, exactly how I wanted it for $3400 this way.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top