Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Custom BUDGET SS Aluminum GT Frame build-up

So I had this frame left over from my last build and I've been itching to build an SS for a while, so here is my documented build. I'm really trying to do this on a budget this time, and like I did last time I will be sure to post the prices and sources of my build up.

Here's what I'm starting with:

-Unknown 90's GT Aluminum frame - nice and scratched up from previous owner's paint removal (makes it look tough)
- GT Stem (got off ebay long time ago for like $5 just to have, and now it's gonna get some use)
-Some crappy Wheels, Suspension Fork, and Handle bars from a 2001 Pacific bike of some sort. All of these components are really heavy, but I'm thinking cheap here.
-WTB NANO Raptor tires ($20.99 shipped for the set off ebay - got them for another project but may use these for the SS)
- *not shown* old seatpost, seatpost clamp, nuts and bolts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Untouched Frame Pics

I originally won this frame off of ebay, but upon inspection after I received it I realized it was not the same frame as in the auction. After I told the seller, he shipped me the correct frame and told me to keep this one. It came pretty scratched up from the paint removal...looks like they used a wire brush on it. So here's how it came:

Time to clean her up a bit...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frame after a bit of work

I really like the look of aluminum, so I've decided to keep it that way...but I couldn't leave it quite as beat up as I received it. So I sanded it with some 1000 grit, 0000 steel wool, and two different 3M Scotchbrite pads. I didn't go crazy on the clean up because I want this to be a bike I can kind of beat up without having to worry bunches about it. I def didn't want to polish it up with all of the deep scratches, but I think it cleaned up pretty well for the condition it came in.

Def still a lot of "character marks" but I think she looks ok

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fork clean up

This fork is almost not worth the effort to paint ( it weighs like 5lbs and has no adjustability - just like I like em) but I needed to go black to match my bars and stem. Here's my ghetto paint job:

I removed the stickers, used some goof off and steel wool to remove the glue and other sh-tuff. Those brake studs would have broken off if I tried any harder to remove them and the rubber boots are coming off (i think) so I just left those on to protect the sanctions.

Just sprayed it with some left over semi-flat Krylon Rust Tough Enamel - it's now black, a job well done :)

With boots still on for the time being...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now the fun stuff - EBAY and Amazon!

Many days I've struggled to decide on an accent color scheme...red, orange, blue, lime green...? I love the Red and Black/Silver bikes, but I felt like I don't need to add another to the long list of current ones. I love the orange idea, but felt like it may be hard to find orange components in the right shades. I did blue with my last build...so lime green it is. Always liked the bright green bikes so this is the direction I've decided.

Fun in the mail!

- Origin 8 urban pro saddle $25 shipped - I love the look of these seats...I have the same one, but in blue on my other GT

-I love colored pedals...so I picked up a set of Wellgo plastic pedals for $18 shipped - but already returned them. The color didn't match the seat very well, and that's the shade of green I like most...matching that green is looking to be a tough task

- used Stonglight SS 32t Crankset with bash gaurd and bottom bracket. $35 shipped...I had no idea what I was looking for but found this the day I decided to build an SS and honestly just thought it looked pretty cool (and cheap!)

- Grab On brake grips...$5 for both sets. After I decided not to go with the green grips (being a bit scarred of green overkill) I ordered these (and some green brake cable - so much for the overkill). I haven't put these on any levers yet but they look and feel awesome and old school.

Just got these in today. Tacx JUNO Composite cages. They came with swappable rubber nubs in different colors to match your ride, which I think is pretty cool. I'm going with white 1) because they didn't come with green and 2) because I have some white in some lettering on my seat and decals (which will be revealed later)

This is the SS conversion kit I ordered (Origin 8 PRO-PULSION Single Speed Conversion Kit) becasue it was the cheapest I could find $35 and it just happents to match my seat...I also thought it was cool it comes with two different cogs (16t and 18t)

My appartment/workshop with the frame in the back...and a set of Semislicks I picked up locally off ebay for $17, just because they were new and cheap. (I'm addicted to ebay, but I admit it, so that's a start)

More to come soon...waiting on new pedals, grips, brake cables, brake levers, and decals. (getting stuff in the mail is the best part of a bike build!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Graphics/Decals

The decals came in today! I ended up ordering a set of GT Karkass bmx decals ($10 ebay). This bike is gonna be my urban warrior and I thought the style of these decals kinda fit the bill. Of course this isn't gonna be a GT Karkass it's a GT SS, so they had to be modified a bit.

...and after all the hacking - GT BIKES, SS, R SPEC (for the fork)

Frame application - just wiped the frame down with some rubbing alcholol. The decals are actually stickers, so application was pretty straight forward. I could peel them off and reposition, but only once or twice max.

The GT in the front was looking lonely and small so I messed around with some different borders - don't know if I like any of them...but I'll sit on it for now

Fork decals

The fork was looking pretty plain, so I took some leftover decals from my set to dress it up a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Brake levers and grips

Brake levers came in today - Avid FR-5 $13

I cut one grip in half to fit the brakes better (so I still have 3 (6) more for when they get beat up) I was really starting to question the green accent color choice for the bike, but once I got these on I started to feel better.

just mocked up a bit

·
Registered
962 Posts
Pretty nice. So far so good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it! I have a SS kit just waiting for that special GT frame to come along. ;)
Thanks Marpilli! You were a main inspiration for this build...I was so close to red/black, because yours turned out so well! Did you get the new bars/stem/fork on yet? When you do, make sure you post those pics on your thread.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi...I've done Alu polishing on frames before and was wondering how you plan to "cure" or treat your frame to protect it from acid sweat and road grime , dirt etc as these will destroy your clean up work in very short time !!!!!

Thanks....Great project going on....Lovely retro GT ZASKAR

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi...I've done Alu polishing on frames before and was wondering how you plan to "cure" or treat your frame to protect it from acid sweat and road grime , dirt etc as these will destroy your clean up work in very short time !!!!!
I have limited experience with frame polishing; however, my frame has not experienced the degradation you describe.

I used finer grades of sandpaper and steel wool to prep the frame. Then I used the mother's aluminum polish to polish the frame (twice over). Finalizing with a single application of some car wax I had on the shelf. It's been 4-5 months now and it looks as good as it did originally. Well, it's dirty. But, it's a mountain bike, right? ;)

I've seen some other examples of raw and polished aluminum where the owner's used no ongoing maintenance and the frames still looked great.

Can you describe (or post a photo) of the problems you've experienced?

·
Huckin' trails
6,041 Posts
This frame looks like a GT Tempest, which I have the AnaTomica version, but looks very similar, shape, dropouts, triangles, cable routing, etc... Maybe try to get the SN number under the BB.

Nice decals choice too. I really like the green accents and the fork paint job.

I'm currently building my Tempest and I think I will get a lot of inspiration from this SS. I'm using a internal 7 speed hub instead of SS (lot of hills here)...

Keep on good work man.

David

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With regards to protecting the frame...I might put some wax on it...but Im kind of a wierdo and I'll probably ending wiping it down after rides, which I think would take care of any corrosion worries

This frame looks like a GT Tempest, which I have the AnaTomica version, but looks very similar, shape, dropouts, triangles, cable routing, etc... Maybe try to get the SN number under the BB.

Nice decals choice too. I really like the green accents and the fork paint job.

I'm currently building my Tempest and I think I will get a lot of inspiration from this SS. I'm using a internal 7 speed hub instead of SS (lot of hills here)...

Keep on good work man.

David
Thanks so much David! I just ordered another set of decals for back-ups because you never know if you'll be able to find them again (hint order extras)

I can honestly say I know next nothing about internal hubs with gearing...but I'm going to have to do a bit more research on it now. I think I saw a guy mate an internal geared hub with a carbon belt system, and it looked awesome.

I have two similar frames - this one with the support section on the top tube at the headtube and the other with the tube support at the bottom. I think I might actually prefer it at the top like this one...maybe because I dont see it as much (or because it's my current build :D). I think I remember seeing a Pantera with the support section at the top like this frame.(I just took a look at your frame and that tube support is at the bottom, looks like my other frame....so I wonder?)

More updates soon :thumbsup:

·
Huckin' trails
6,041 Posts
I can tell you one thing about internal geared hubs... They weight a ton and are expensive unless you get a good deal (I got mine used for free from a friend) and I need to build it back on a 26" rim, because it's on a 24" right now, but I might keep it as is for now, because wheel building is not in my budget for now ($100 and more).

But they are great and come very often with drum brake, which mean no derailleur and rear brake troubles and adjustments (peace of mind and tool-free). You might only have to figure out on how to route the cables, since the frame isn't design for this type of setup.

You must powder-coat the frame with a clear to ensure good durability and nice look and then wax it up, if not, the job will not last.

I'm looking for a front drum brake hub too, to get a fully reliable bike and no worries.

This damn thing is costing me more money every time I open up this forum :D

Happy building my friend,

David

Sent from my iPhone while bikin'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Stuff!

Got some new parts:

Fyxation Pedals ($23), Rav X Density X Lock grips ($11), D Hanger ($8.50)

New pedals on the right compared to the old ones (left)...much better :)

Now closer to the seat. Not perfect, but closer...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts