Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,118 Posts
Nickle said:
LOL. That's funny, you beat me to that. :p

I did go through with the bike (obviously). It's currently sitting at home, along with all the pictures of the frame, waiting for the build to arrive. UPS' tracking number is claiming that all the components, minus the wheels, will be here tomorrow. Honestly, I don't have a clue how it rides... but I know it looks amazing! Dobermann exceeded my expectations. If this bike rides as good as it looks, it's going to be a very sweet ride.
Interested to see some pics and hear a ride report when you get that Dob built up. I've been looking into a HT AM ride myself.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Pinch said:
Interested to see some pics and hear a ride report when you get that Dob built up. I've been looking into a HT AM ride myself.
This one definitely knocks on the FR door. You'll see what I mean when I post the pictures. I'm waiting for the wheels to arrive before I post pics. The 2300 g wheelset that's on there now isn't staying. Once they arrive, you'll have an entire thread showing this bike from conception to design to production to the end user. Should have plenty of pictures and words for ya. ;)

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
unfluid one said:
oh wow that looks super!
Love the paint.. the sliding dropouts look awesome
Actually, that's power coat. At first, I was scared to death that I'd scratch the heck out of it, but after riding it last night with the pads on, that concern as been abandoned. That stuff isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
perttime said:
2060 g for the (unpainted) steel frame does not sound like much. How long have you been riding it? I understand it is strong and stiff enough for you. How much do you weight, approximately?

Sorry, what do you mean by that?
i have been riding it for one month...
it is really stiff. in fact it is vertically compliant but lateraly stiff because of the wishbone... i'm only 55kg so maybe i find it stiff because i am a light rider.
when i said the seat tube is doubled, it is because when you use light tapered tubes, when you cut them, you have no other choice than cutting inside the thin part. so we reinforced the seat tube by using a second tube around it externally.

by the way, thank you everybody, i will tell my friend how much you liked his work, he will be very happy...

for the initial subject, i think going custom is a very nice way of getting a bike with a real soul...
for people wondering about the hardtail vs sussy dilemna, i'd say it depends of your back: the hardtail is less forgiving, but so much more fun, and it makes you a better rider... when you go back to a full susser, you are a better rider.

i have to go (for a little fixie ride on road ;-) )

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
cyrus said:
it is really stiff. in fact it is vertically compliant but lateraly stiff because of the wishbone... i'm only 55kg so maybe i find it stiff because i am a light rider.
by the way, thank you everybody, i will tell my friend how much you liked his work, he will be very happy...
I ride an aluminum HT that has about the same frame weight as your steel frame and that is stiff, even though I am almost twice your weight. I suspect I would need a little heavier steel frame.

Your friend's work looks good to me. I suspect it is hard to make money building frames but I hope he goes on, whether professionally or because he likes doing it.

·
Clever Slogan
543 Posts
On-One 456

I don't know what size frame you're looking for, but....I do have a 456 which is absolutely great. I also have an on-one 853 ss (one of the originals which is also great.) The 456 is a 20in. which I've been riding for a year. I'm 6ft with a 32in. inseam, I think it's slightly too big. I've been thinking of buying an 18in. version but am having trouble witht the concept of buying a new frame that is identical to the one I have but smaller just so I can lower the seat a little more.

Anywayssssssss, if the 456 is anything like my 853 ss, it is - and will remain a great bike for many years. Right now mine is set up (different than the picture) with 8in. hydros, Pike 456 fork, Holzfellar cranks, 28/38 chainrings, Thomson, Salsa Gordo rims, etc. and weighs about 32lbs. I ride MRT with it, Mary's Peak, Shellburg Falls, all my rugged long range rides and have never had a problem (well other than lowering the saddle as low as I'd like).

If the size is right and you end up leaning towards the 456, PM me and I'll let you have her cheap. Apologies for the spam!

Attachments

G

·
DanLees said:
Has anyone mentioned Curtis?
Good call. They've certainly been mentioned on other threads on MTBR, but about time they were on this one.

I thought seriously about Curtis earlier in the year after my Cotic Soul frame failed. I was after a burlier steel hardtail frame and thought about the Cove Handjob, but Brian Kelly (R&D Manager at Cove) advised me that I was too big and heavy for that frame - and suggested Chromag. Shortly before ordering a Chromag frame two things happened; I got a Cotic BFe as a warranty replacement for the Soul - and I realised that for the same price as a Chromag in the UK I could get a Curtis made to me exact requirements, in a colour of my choice, and with a lifetime warranty!

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
i am looking to upgrade my hardtail to something more burly but in steel needed for AM, trail and some jumping etc. will be fitted with a pike or z1. i am on a budget and have seen some of the bikes in my line-up. i was wondering if anyone knows how the 456 would handle being used as a jump bike when not on the trails. i know there are more suitable and inexpensive frames like the scirroco's etc but then i am back to an unforgiving ride on the mountain.
my short list so far is a 456 or dmr trailstar lt/exalt

G

·
juan pablo said:
i am looking to upgrade my hardtail to something more burly but in steel needed for AM, trail and some jumping etc. will be fitted with a pike or z1. i am on a budget and have seen some of the bikes in my line-up. i was wondering if anyone knows how the 456 would handle being used as a jump bike when not on the trails. i know there are more suitable and inexpensive frames like the scirroco's etc but then i am back to an unforgiving ride on the mountain.
my short list so far is a 456 or dmr trailstar lt/exalt
Also look at the Dialled Bikes Holeshot if you're after something a bit more 'jumpy'..? I know that Mike (Mr Dialled Bikes himself) is trying to make inroads to the US market.

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/holeshot.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whilst not custom I have one of the original shipment Dialled Bikes Prince Albert from 2004 or so, and as far as I'm concerned it is the epitomy of and all-mountain hardtail.

It has been thrashed on trails all around UK, pretty much most of Europe and BC and the Rockies.

Built up with a reasonable part spec of 130mm Z1 FR SL's, Saint Brakes, Thomson post, Hope Hubs with DT Swiss rims and the usual reasonably priced strong stuff, it has been an absolute joy to ride.

I was considering getting a Curtis recently and I decide 800 UK pounds wasn't really justified as the PA does eveything I could want happily.

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/princealbert.html

Thats myself on that page showing exactly what the likes you to do to it.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
i want to run 140-150mm forks. if i can get feedback on how the 456 could do for my needs then i might go for it. killer price! really need an AM,trail bike for longer rides hence steel but still want to hit the jumps now and then. its gonna be a second bike for my 6" fully and hope to have it set up for winter.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
juan pablo said:
i want to run 140-150mm forks. if i can get feedback on how the 456 could do for my needs then i might go for it. killer price! really need an AM,trail bike for longer rides hence steel but still want to hit the jumps now and then. its gonna be a second bike for my 6" fully and hope to have it set up for winter.
Something like this? 150mm fork and confidence inspiring burliness and geometry.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts