Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
living in New england and riding year round does make me worry a little about corrosion and rust on a ferrous frameset! How's your thylacine handling the elementts???
I've never had a problem with corrsion of steel bikes when it comes to just rain and mud. I've got a drain plug in the BB shell for draining water. It does get wet and muddy in the winter where I ride, but snow is less common, so it's never cold enough for salt on roads etc. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to??? The Rohloff has made handling the elements and winter muck much simpler.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Steel oxidizes much more quickly than aluminum. The inside of the tubes are not painted and therefore not shielded from the elements. If not taken care of, your bike will rust from the inside. An occasional blast of a general use oil (like WD-40) into the tubes will help prevent this from occurring.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ride quality is always the other factor i dicker with--I've had nothing but short travel dualies-, I've borrowed hardtails here and there-and they feel harsher (duh)--I just wonder (hope) that topflight customization can achieve a ride quality that offsets missing rear suspension to some degree. I know the finest hardtail can never be as plush/ comfy smooth as a dual suspension bike-I just want some modicum of all-day comfort from proper fit/ geometry and tube selection.

Biggest reason i just don't jump on a Sinister ridge (or banshee scirocco for that matter) is the oft noted harsh ride of aluminum hardtails--damp steel-I'm hoping-takes quite a bit of the edge off.

Oh-if nothing else-The pictures of these all-mountain hard tails (steel and otherwise-are great--sometimes I think I'm just in love with the look of a well-made hard tail-which is no small thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
An occasional blast of a general use oil (like WD-40) into the tubes will help prevent this from occurring.[/QUOTE]

DON'T USE WD-40 for this. It'll end up promoting rust. Use frame saver. If you're going to use oil, use 3 in 1, or Shop Spray.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
If I were to replace my Peyto right now, it would most likely be a Chro-Mag, or Evil Sovereign. Custom? Doberman seems to be the hot new ticket for that. Though there are a whole ton of steel builders out there that could do what you're looking for.

69 degree head angle, big tire clearance, up to a 7" fork, looooow standover, and lots of seat dropping room if needed more than the 4" the Gravity Dropper gives. Frame weighs 5# and the whole bike as shown is a bit under 28#. Up or down depending on tire choice.

Attachments

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,584 Posts
Frank the Welder of Sinister is doing custom frames as a hobby alongside building for Sinister. I'm sure he would put together a steel Ridge. Shoot him an e-mail.

I demo'ed a Ridge and fell in love with it.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
I know I'm repeating myself, but damn I love the look of that Peyto Dave! :thumbsup:

There are certainly heaps of possibilities out there. It’s interesting to see of the scope of what riders prefer to ride, and class as an AM styled bike. Personally I like the idea of a lighter, yet strong frame rather than a slightly heavier FR orientated, burly machine.

But that’s just the riding I do I guess. I class a lot of the riding I do on a rigid aluminium machine as AM, so I’m not being judgemental! :D :p

Cheers, Dave.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
cyrus said:
... welded by one of my friends, who lives in france and who may one day start building bikes for others, but right now he only does it for friends...

with 25% sag (pike 140mm fork):

...the bike itself:

it is a all mountain hardtail, i plan to use it for allmost anything: technical xc, ...
That looks a lot like... the frame I wish I had. Or maybe mine could me made for a shorter fork....

2060 g for the (unpainted) steel frame does not sound like much. How long have you been riding it? I understand it is strong and stiff enough for you. How much do you weight, approximately?

we doubled the seat tube
Sorry, what do you mean by that?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah the Cotic has always been on the short list-especially because of their stated philosophy of building bikes that hard all-mountain tough, but xc-ish in terms of climbing geometries-and the 853 is of course the gold standard these days in steel.

For those of you on the Ridge-or a similar aluminum hard tail-i.e Banshee Scirocco, Peyto etc.-how's the all day riding comfort level?? I know they're well made-but in the end, is it still an aluminum hard tail with all the abusive ride qualities (along with legendary stiffness) the metal is know for??

The Two reason I want steel is 1. the aesthetics of those gorgeous thinner steel tubes and 2. The dampness-edge taking off qualities steel is known for. However, if the Sinister or a like bike could, to a large degree mimic those qualities-i'd just as soon save the 500.00 over a custom frame and go with a high quality, well regarded production aluminum frame.

And I'll say it again-all the pictures of AM Hardtails (alu and steel) look great.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
SuperbMan said:
For those of you on the Ridge-or a similar aluminum hard tail-i.e Banshee Scirocco, Peyto etc.-how's the all day riding comfort level??
I have a Scirocco but I seldom ride more than three or four hours at a time. Mine is the older model with straight seat stays and it is stiff: good for delivering power to the ground but it can get tiring over rocky and rooty trails.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
SuperbMan said:
For those of you on the Ridge-or a similar aluminum hard tail-i.e Banshee Scirocco, Peyto etc.-how's the all day riding comfort level?? I know they're well made-but in the end, is it still an aluminum hard tail with all the abusive ride qualities (along with legendary stiffness) the metal is know for??
FWIW: the Peyto is steel.

He (Paul) is on some sort of hiatus from building at the moment, but is apparantly looking to return to it at somepoint in the future.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
SuperbMan said:
Alright-first let me admit I'm more on the trail side of all-mountain but none-the-less, I to desire a relatively bullit proof bike that can take abuse and still pedal uphill reasonably well (you know, the holy grail of mountain biking).

My recent thoughts:

1. Looking to get a custom steel hard tail built on the strong end of things w/ 69 degree or so HA-from someone reputable (getting a real good feeling about Thylacine I might add)

2. or-try one of the stand-by all-mountain hardtails-thinking maybe the much loved Sinister Ridge w/ a pike.

Anyone using anything like this? Thoughts?
Then again, I might go with the dually afterall-looking at the Iron Horse MKIII or 6 point series-I have ridden the mk's a fair bit-they pedal well (worry a little about reliability).

Thanks

I have a custom All-Mountain Sinsiter....29er....just awaiting some new Mavics and a Thru Axle :)

We were sick of seeing so many 29ers that were just XC bikes with the bigger wheels...so now we have a all mountain trail***** :)

This thing climbs like a beast...sub 17" chainstays...too bad I don't climb as well as the bike LOL....

In short, if you want to ride 26" wheels get a ridge...he will do Custom if you want to make some tweaks as well....

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Heres mine. Love the hardtail! 2006 Iron Horse yakuza Bakuto, 19" frame, I have a 33" inseam. 170mil Sherman w/1.5 steerer. 50mil stem. 22/36tooth cranksset.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
amajeski said:
How about a Soul Cycle Titan? I built this up a few weeks ago and have been shaking her down a bit since then. Great bike and has been holding up to my 210 lb carcass really well so far. The only think I don't like is that I'm 6'1" and ordered a 15.5"... With a 330 mm post I can't get the seat high enough to get a good full leg extension on the climbs, but she feels GREAT coming back down. :thumbsup:
AT your height how confy is it on longer rides? how long is the top tube on that thing?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Curtis ... they seem to know their stuff. I think the cost is about the same as an Evil Sovereign but you get exactly the frame measurements that you want.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts