Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else thinking about running the XC version in their Trail/Enduro wheels?!

2.4 and 32mm (inner rim) sounds like it would be compatible with plenty of more capable rims.

The new XC insert removes a lot of material on the rim-side, and is meant for tire widths from 1.8-2.4″, and inner rim widths of 22-32mm. To be offered in 27.5 and 29″ versions, claimed weights will be 140g and 150g respectively.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
They've specifically stated performance wont be the same. I think if you're gonna do it, might as well do it. It might make more sense dropping to a slightly less aggressive tire which will be 100g lighter and still get the same traction? Ive only heard of ppl doing that but dont know who actually did it. Anyone go this route with feedback to share?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Haven't heard of the XC version. Check out Rimpact. They're light and improve ride characteristics on at least up to 2.4" tires (on 2.6 they mostly just help with rim strikes).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a regular Huck Norris up front and a DH one on the back and they do the job, BUT while they prevent most pinch flats they don't help that much with ride characteristics so I was wondering if "maybe" the new CushCore XC was the unicorn we've been looking for.

I can't imagine a full on lycra dude not bothered by 150g more on each wheel and really think the "XC" appellation is just a marketing way to differentiate the pro version (DH-ish) and the bit less capable but still very good on trail/Enduro bikes.

If anyone has tried them please give us some feedbacks :)

If I don't get any news within the next few days I'll order some and put them to trial so we know what's up ;)

I really think they'll work as advertised and will add +30g over the Huck Norris, but add some more damping and maybe help in corners ....

Who knows? I will eventually

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, they should have labled them the "Trail" version IMO. XC guys wont be using these...i dont even think they would put in 90g Rimpact inserts.

I presume these have the same density, simply less material/width, but not sure. These might be perfect for the likes of a 2.3 Aggressor.

I'd still expect them to be far better than Huck Norris.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they should have labled them the "Trail" version IMO. XC guys wont be using these...i dont even think they would put in 90g Rimpact inserts.

I presume these have the same density, simply less material/width, but not sure. These might be perfect for the likes of a 2.3 Aggressor.

I'd still expect them to be far better than Huck Norris.
Agreed, Agreed and Agreed ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out Vittoria air liner.....
Thx! I've never tried them but they seem to follow other tire inserts logic ... prevent flats and add a little bit of confort, but ...

What I like with the CushCore is the way it pushes against the sides to extend sidewall support and prevent folding too much while cornering at speed.

The Vittoria seem heavier too ...

Vittoria claims that a single Air-Liner insert will weigh between 160g-220g, depending on the size and the diameter you trim it to. However, the Large size insert came in at 247g (27.5in) and 292g (29in), which put these at the heavier end of the scale. .
Source: https://singletrackworld.com/2018/1...re-inserts-maximum-fit-and-forget-protection/

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
I have both CC and Vittoria (and Huck norris for that matter)

I forgot the exact weight, but the medium (for 31 iw rim with 2.4-2.5 tire 27.5) Vittoria trimed to 27.5 for my rim was lighter than my cushcore. Cushcore weighed in at 250 gm, Vittoria was sub 200.

Vittoria is also far easier to install. It provides sidewall support, although not to the extent of the CC.

At this point, I'm pleased with the Vittoria for its blend of weight, installation ease and sidewall support and the ability to let me lower pressure for traction.

I'm running Vittoria rear, Huck norris in a front (for just a bit of additional impact resistance)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much for the feedback, it give a better overview ... so you can choose more wisely :)

I still want to give the CushCore XC a try but it looks like nobody stock them in Europe at the moment!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
It looks like they've removed quite a bit of material where the cushcore contacts the rim which would significantly impact its ability to dampen your ride which one of its strengths and justifications for the added weight. I'd say either do it with cushcore or go with a different product.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Robertson
1,041 Posts
I also have the Vittoria in the rear of my AM bike, it replaced a Cushcore. Cut to size, the Vittoria was lighter than the cushcore by around 75grams. Way easier to install. Not as good for sidewall support (though better than no insert) but much better rim strike protection; I've busted tires and rims with Cushcore but never even felt a rim strike with the Vittoria running the exact same pressure.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update: they are back in stock, so I should get them in about a week or so ... whoop Whoop :)

I’ll see if:

1) - they are «compatible» with 30mm ID rims
2) - how they compare to the HuckNorris
3) - do they add something more to your ride and are they worth it

Let’s find out pretty soon!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.