Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted cushcore and had severe tire wobble from the insert?

If so can you share any techniques to get it straight consistently?

Currently have a about a 1” deviation in trueness just at the tire. Ive tried letting the air out and manipulating it, but no luck. Using brand new DH assegais, ex511’s, the pro insert.

All tips and tricks are good to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Remove the tyre and start again with lots of soapy water. That helps everything move and get into the correct place.

If you have really muscled the tyre getting it on there is also a chance that you have ripped the sidewall construction but I'd start with the above suggestion first.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ya there's a chance it's just a bad tire. There's a lot of stories about maxxis tire casings shifting between layers. I thought this thread was going to be about the wheel developing an issue over time with cushcore. My buddy was just telling me his wheels started sticking to the cushcore and developing a hop.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have a new Dissector DH casing mounted up with a CushCore. It has a minor visible wobble, though it’s not something you can feel while riding. I have not performed the control experiment, i.e. mounting the same tire without CC to see if the wobble is still there. Getting a DH casing on a rim with a CC is a helluva workout, so not keen to try this.

As others note Maxxis tires are somewhat prone to wobbles anyway. I’ve never had one that can be felt when riding.

Also, I think that because CCs lock the bead to the rim very tightly, you can actually get the two beads mounted a few degrees off from one another, I.e. one bead rotated around the rim relative to the other. I always mount with soapy water then pump the tire up to 50PSI and leave it overnight, which hopefully gets everything in the right place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.