Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the girls, Stella (Stellar frame) and Faith (Ti fork) from James at Black Sheep Bikes yesterday. Beyond being gorgeous, the bike has a smooth and very "of one piece" ride. This may be from having a Ti seatpost and Ti Mountain Moustache bars from Black Sheep as well. With the King regular cassette hubs, the bike weighs in at well under 21 pounds (9.5 kilos for the metrically advantaged).

Attachments

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
This is just a flat-out gorgeous bike to me. If my left knee would allow SS riding, I'd clone this bike in my size! I've got a road bike from James as well as a cross bike on the way soon from him. The cranks turned out stealthy.

Is that fork the suspension corrected?

Congrats on the uber-sweet ride. :)

·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not suspension corrected

The fork isn't suspension corrected. I trusted James that the truss fork would be compliant enough. So far, so good. The other day I was going a little fast downhill and hit a square-edged rock that I thought would really jolt me. I was amazed when the fork soaked most of the jolt up! The person that described the suspension feel as "early '90s elastomer" is on target.

Co, regarding your knees: mine are a little funky and they actually feel a little better on the SS. Not sure why, but it seems to work that way for me.

·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're supposed to offer the benefits of Ti flex and vibration dampening plus more control of the direction of the flex, particularly under braking. That's what I've been told anyway.

My only other recent rigid ride is on a cross bike - this is way more comfortable.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
headhunter said:
The fork isn't suspension corrected. I trusted James that the truss fork would be compliant enough. So far, so good. The other day I was going a little fast downhill and hit a square-edged rock that I thought would really jolt me. I was amazed when the fork soaked most of the jolt up! The person that described the suspension feel as "early '90s elastomer" is on target.

Co, regarding your knees: mine are a little funky and they actually feel a little better on the SS. Not sure why, but it seems to work that way for me.
Interesting on the knee. I guess everyone is put together a little differently. I'm not done by any means. I just need to find a setup that makes the knee pain go away. I found it through surgery, PT, and fittings on the road bike. I'm not sure why the mtb would be too terribly different.

Again, great looking Sheep. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.