Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banzai
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ya'all

My title says curver, I meant Curver Racing Jaws.

Does anybody out there have any idea where I can get parts for Curve Racing Jaws Cantilever brakes? I guess: where are the parts, are any parts from other brakes able to be substituted for curve guts, or are there any out there for sale?

I also have a crap load of interest in IRD brakes. Any photos or sales out there?
Heck, any heads up on any cool 90's cantis would be great.

Takenomorimonster.
The King of the Bamboo Forest on the Island of the Dead, Shikoku.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What parts are your brakes missing?
As I recall, Curve started off as an independent CNC operation, then their stuff started appearing as OE on Konas, and they went from CNC to cheaper casting.
IRD brakes are a hot item, in fact, anything IRD is a hot item, and don't come up too often for sale.
If you like the Widget brake, a cheaper alternative is the Paul Crosstop, which was an easier to set up but less durable copy of it. They are sometimes to be found.
Tim

·
Banzai
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I have is the arms, a spring and a couple "caps" to the guts. Is there a user guide floating around out there somewhere, I wonder. I "talked" with Jeff at Firstflight and he mentioned that some other brakes "guts" might be usable. Is there anyone with knowledge about these babies. They are cool. How does one tell if they are the originals or the Kona version?

I got a great set of IRD switchbacks. Very cool. I'll try an get a photo up.
Also. I came across a rasta Paul fhub ddt. It has a titanium axle with an allen wrench closure system. Is that a rare thing. It has been in the shop for around ten years I think, does that sound right?
Wade

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Curve (formerly Piranha Racing) used relatively standard eye-bolt and nut hardware for their brakes, both the original CNC'ed "boutique" ones and the later ones they provided as OEM spec for Kona's in the mid 90s. Almost any of the old aftermarket ti and al pad eye-bolt carriers and nuts fit them. I've got dozens of the things in titanium myself. The springs were pretty standard too (shmano cantilever springs would work) but its the little barrel for the straddle cable end and the spring washers that are trickier to source. You'd probably have to find something from other brakes to replace those bits.

These are curve brakes from the Kona production series...

·
Banzai
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, would you happen to know the major outward difference between the cnc and oem model?
I have the pad mounts but I am a little short on mounting hardwear. Do you have any recommendations for this type of gear? I am pretty sure mine are like yours.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Another Pic

This is a set of Piranha brakes, as D8 mentioned the predecessor to the Curve brakes.

I've used the spring assembly from DiaComp 986 brakes to mount a different pair of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
takenomorimonster said:
Also. I came across a rasta Paul fhub ddt. It has a titanium axle with an allen wrench closure system. Is that a rare thing. It has been in the shop for around ten years I think, does that sound right?
Wade
I had, well still have a DDT FHub. I rode it for a long time, but eventualy the bearing cavity got worn a little and now no matter how tight you make the bolts, the hub wobbles some. Kind of a pain, actually. It rode well for about two years if I recall.
Post some pics on the Switchbacks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.